Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Waiting for my trip to Italy is just killing me!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the airfare is purchased, the hotels have been researched and booked, recommended restaurants and shops noted, Italian class begun, packing list typed...there is not much to do but wait and it's driving me crazy!!!

How can I pass the time?

I keep visiting Fodor's to just check things out or offer advice where I have some, but now - thanks to this forum's nature - I'm finding myself wanting to be in planning mode again! I'm starting to think of other trips I want plan to take to Italy and Europe, in general.

Saaavveee meeeee!

I'm starting to go over the edge. I've purchased maps for the cities we are visiting (National Geographic maps of Venice and Florence are fantastic - Venice in particular, it has even the smallest canals marked and you don't need a magnifying glass to see them!). I also purchased some small circular stickers in assorted colors and have started color coding the maps - noting some restaurants, shops, and attractions we may be interested in - and of course our hotel. I'm not even the overly-organized-planned-daily itinerary type of person.

What are your strategies for getting through this stage, when you are crazy with anticipation? Maybe I should check out the books and movies threads....
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:11 AM

I know exactly what you are going through. We can't wait for our upcoming trip to Spain. Sometimes it's good to just get into something else for a while, like a weekend ski trip, a concert, or whatever, so you don't get trip anticipation burnout! Also realize that even with the best laid plans, things will not always work out the way you planned - but that's half the fun of travelling!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:27 AM

Add me to the list of slightly insane travelers waiting for their next trip (which will be to Wales in September). Everything has been done except for my BritRail Pass. You can't purchase it before three months in advance. I've even brought down the luggage from the attic and started putting items in as I think of them. Don't know if I will last until September!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:29 AM

You are already doing one of my favorites...taking Italian language classes. How about getting some good Italian cookbooks and preparing more Italian meals? Reading novels set in Italy? Reading up on the lives of some of the artists you'll be seeing?

Books you might enjoy right now: The Agony and the Ecstasy, Extra Virgin, Under the Tuscan Sun, Bella Tuscany, When in Rome, La Cucina, A Death in Venice, Angels and Demons, any of the suspense novels of Michael Dibden (set in Italy), Dances with Luigi....

I think there is another post with more books set in Italy. These are just a few I enjoyed.

Good luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Yes! Grat idea Grasshopper! I do have a wonderful Italian cookbook, "Italy: the Beautiful Cookbook." I highly recommend it. I think I will start preparing menues from that for Sunday's since I have more time to cook then.

I did read "Under the Tuscan Sun," and while I liked it in parts, reading memoirs didn't really seem to be my thing so I think I'll skip "Bella Tuscany." I will, however, rent "Under the Tuscan Sun" next week when it comes out on DVD. In fact, a friend of mine and I were thinking about getting a few more friends together to make it a "Girl's Night" and cook a great Tuscan dinner, drink plenty of wine, and watch the movie together.

It's funny you mentioned "Angels and Demons," I had already "planned" to buy that for reading on the flight! You see how far this madness has gone! LOL!

Thanks all, I see now that I am not alone...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Mamma, I hear you. I have a trip approaching that is now 5 months in the planning stages (and already once postponed, so I've been looking forward to it for over a year and a half!) I'm doing Italian lessons too. Haven't yet gotten to packing lists but Fodors and a big bottle of creamy limoncello get me through. Not to mention a big stack of travel guides to curl up with!

It is hard though, especially in the midst of a cold Boston winter, to think that shortly I'll be in the canals of Venice and museums of Florence!

Oh, and for what it's worth, do pick up Agony & Ecstasy, it's one of my favorite books. I'm about to read it for the 2nd time...timing it to be about halfway through when I board the plane! You'll love A&D for plane reading though!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:44 AM

I keep seing "Angels and Demons" mentioned here. Can someone tell me a little bit about it? Have a plane trip coming up soon...alas, only to NYC, not Italia.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:50 AM
aj

"Every now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness to just be happy"!!!!!! Good luck!!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:10 PM

Ah Mamma Love, I too know just what your going through. I've been trying not to talk to anyone who will listen about our trip in April to Prague, Vienna and Budapest. I've been enjoying someone else's posts here concerning almost the same trip. The internet makes it way to easy to micro-plan, doesn't it?
I have even given my extra travel alarm clock to our traveling companions so that they will get up early to catch the early train to Vienna.
I have Czech tape in car...
I keep reminding myself that the most enjoyment of life comes from living in this moment not the next. I've been focusing my morning meditations to that thought.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:21 PM
cmt

Re books: I absolutely HATED the book La Cucina!!!

MammaLove: since you've started Italian class, that should keep you busy if you do extra work. If weekly compositions aren't required, do them anyway. Participate in an Internet forum where you can write in Italian. Rent Italian movies (not dubbed) and try to understand as much as possible, with the subtitles as a back-up. If the class does not require reading assignments, give yourself reading assignments. Get a very easy book, even a children's book if you're a complete beginner.

I used to like to read novels set in the country I planned to visit. There are plenty set in Italy. Also you can study the hisotry, or review the history if you already studied it recently.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:26 PM

Buy a book of Italian crossword puzzles.

Wow, CMT, you HATED La Cucina? Why was that? I thought it was interesting and fun.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Gee, I just signed up for an elderhostel cruise to Sicily and the Aeolian Islands and my trip is not til 2005! I am sure I will be reading your trip report long before that.

I do have, of course, a few trips planned before I get to Italy. Let's see, there is the elderhostel to Moscow and St. Petersburg, the home exchanges in Colorado and California, and maybe other jaunts in front of it.

Right now I'm working on brushing up my limited high school Russian. My utter lack of Italian will have to wait until I get back from Russia. Ha!

Have of the fun in going anywhere is planning the trip and reading beforehand. Doing a lot of reading really helps you get more out of your trip. For Europe I always concentrate on the history of the area to which I will be going. When you cannot understand the tour guide at that famous castle when the tour is only in the native language, you know in general what is going on if you have prepared ahead of time.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 08:23 PM

Mamma Love, I feel your pain.

On the shelves of the wobbly little bookcase beside my bed, travel guides (my own and the public library's) are randomly stuck between the once orderly complete sea novels of Patrick O'Brian and the two musty smelling volumes of "An Englishman In Paris", Fourth Edition, 22 August, 1892. Weighty photography books, including Atget's "A Vision of Paris" with words by Marcel Proust, Trager's "Changing Paris", Doisneau's "Three Seconds of Eternity, Cartier-Bresson's "A Propos de Paris", and Gautrand's "Paris Mon Armour", stabilize the bottom shelf.

There's "David Gentlemen's Paris" watercolors sketchbook and "Paris", John Russells' ten pound history, as well as the enticingly illustrated "Markets of Paris" beside a dog-eared paperback series of the early "Angelique" novels.

There's "The Seven Ages of Paris" by Alistair Horne and Gopnik's "Paris To The Moon" up against Patricia Well's "The Food Lover's Guide To Paris" which separates "The Da Vinci" Code" from "Amelie", the DVD, and Jeffrey Kraft's "Literary Paris". "Les Chats de Paris" sit peaceably next to "Les Chiens De Paris".

There's more, the absolute weirdest, most wildly inventive being "Paris Out of Hand (A Wayward Guide)" by Karen Elizabeth Gordon. All bought, for not much, on eBay.

These are the "midnight snacks" that both soothe and stir my impatience for more travel and direct my dreams. Next full meal? October.

But just to stay mentally situated should one of those crack-of-dawn Florida tornadoes unexpectedly set me down near a Metro station, the travel alarm clock within reach atop the bookcase remains set on Paris time.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi Momma,

Stay tuned to this channel and read the posts on Italy. You will find lots of stuff that will help you rearrange yuritinerary almost daily.
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:19 AM
ira

Hi eliztrav

>I keep seing "Angels and Demons" mentioned here. Can someone tell me a little bit about it? Have a plane trip coming up soon...<

If you liked "The Da Vinci Code" you will find that "Angels and Demons" is not as well written.

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 06:59 AM

Not to totally disagree with Ira, but I liked Angels and Demons better than the Da Vinci code. I had heard all the hype about the Da Vinci and I think I expected more. I was a little dissapointed. I expected nothing from Angels and Demons and really liked the story more. I didn't think either book was particularly well written. Books like this will never be great books, more like fast food for the mind! Angels and Demons is really fun to read and follow the characters around Rome!
Have fun reading.
I want to read the Agony and the Extasy that you all keep talking about!
DebiC
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 07:11 AM

I love La Culcina!! Really great and my husband loved my reading it..wink.

Angels and Demons is almost done..slow start..got interesting. DaVinci code is next.

Our trip is not until October!! Talk about waiting. A few little trips in between but gosh I cant wait.

Where did you find a good airfare, Momma?
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:25 AM

I just counted the days until my backpacking trip to europe and it is 116....i can not wait!!!! I am soooooo excited. I have even practiced packed my pack! MEOW!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:31 AM

Mamma_Love - can you post your packing list? You sound so organized and I am trying to plan my packing list so I would love to glance at yours!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:32 PM

We're headed to Italy in March and already have our tickets. Now we're taking our waiting time to study Italian. My husband is doing much better than I.

Hope you have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -