Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

VRBO Guarantee - Do you purchase this when renting a VRBO apt in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2009, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at a couple rental apartments on VRBO - in Paris. Am wondering if people usually buy the VRBO rental guarantee insurance. We will be getting trip insurance but I think that would only cover us for if we had to cancel our trip, not if there was a fraudelent rental. And, if you have, have you ever had to collect on it and what was your experience? Thanks
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM

We have rented more than 20 apartments and houses in France over the past decade without any difficulty whatsoever. We found all of them through Internet listings; about half of them were through VRBO.

We have never purchased any insurance of the type now offered through the VRBO website. (We've never purchased any trip cancellation insurance, either, for that matter.)

If you are concerned about fraudulent rentals, there are a few other steps you can take to reduce (but perhaps not entirely eliminate) the risk:

- Search or ask questions on sites like Fodor's and Slow Travel to see if anyone else has rented the property you are considering.

- See if you can find any other Internet references to the property through searches such as "rental apartment rue X, Paris 75XXX"; you'll sometimes find a trip report somewhere else or the same property listed on other web sites. All this can help you to determine whether the place actually exists or whether anyone else has ever given the landlord a bad report card.

- Ask the landlord for several references from previous tenants. I know this is not fool-proof, but if you sense a reluctance to do this or a suspicion that all is not what it seems, just move on. There are hundred if not thousands of good landlords and properties available in Paris.

By the way, have you seen the world-famous "Paris apartment thread"? A lot of Fodorites have provided pretty candid reports on many apartments in Paris covering a wide price range. I'll dig up the link for you in a moment.

Anslem
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM

Here you go:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ent-thread.cfm

Anselm
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:07 AM

No, have never bought it (didn't even realise you can, I normally rent through ownersdirect.co.uk which is similar and maybe even owned by the same people).

In 7 or so rentals I have never had an issue, I've only ever rented from people who I get a good feel from in the e-mail correspondence, if they don't reply promptly and nicely I generally weed them out at that stage.
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 05:17 AM

I find most of my European apartment and US condo rentals through vrbo.com and have always had good experiences. Like Anselm I've never bought insurance for my trips.

If you look at the Paris super thread you will see that there are a number of owners and management companies that get praise from Fodorites. You might see if "your" apartments are among that list or check out some of the apartments listed.
Ann Marie
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 06:52 AM

I too haven't bought their travel insurance. I've found quite a bit to rent on VRBO, some of the ones listed are actually with a company, which might make you feel better. I second looking at the Paris thread for referrals and also Slow Travel.

That said, the first apartment I ever rented was in Rome. I worried the whole time while paying and reserving, sleepless nights before the trip with a back up plan in case it was a fraud, stressful plane ride for 15 hours, train into Rome, praying that someone was going to actually be there...It was all good!!!!! I've never looked back and always rent now, have for at least 10 years!
Old Dec 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all your good advice. It is reassuring that so many have rented with no problems -- I do think if you can find your apartment discussed on more than one site in a positive light it can give you a little peace of mind.
Old Dec 23rd, 2009, 04:11 AM

Interesting. As someone who has several listings on VRBO, I didn't even know they offered insurance. I always figured the contract was between me and the user. I'm always happy to send recommendations, provide referrals, etc., and in 15 years haven't had any issues. I'll have to go and look at what they offer.