Reload this Page >

Volos, Tinos, and Navplion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 05:43 PM
Marsha

Can anyone tell me where I can find any information on these islands. I have tried seaching the internet. <BR>Thank you.

Old Jul 13th, 1999, 08:11 PM
Teri

Marsha: Volos is the chief port of Thessaly, NE of Athens & on the coast (obviously!)and Naflion is in the Peloponese peninsula, due west of Athens. Neither are islands. Tinos is an Aegean island in the Cycladic chain, at one time famous for dovecotes. Are you planning a cruise? I've only been to Naflion, of the 3 locales you mention, and liked it VERY much. Hope you have time to explore Mycenae & Epidavros from there. Much as I appreciate the internet, and love Fodors! I still find books indispensible. Try Blue Guide Greece or Cadogan's Greek Islands

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 09:48 AM
Elsa

Marsha, <BR>Tinos is a small island east of Athens. It is not very touristy. I think it might be Easter time that a lot of religious people make a pilgrimage to Tinos. I forget the reason, but obviously if these people go there's something sacred about the island. I know there's a very gaudy church there, and the women crawl on their knees (on cobblestones and cement) from outside the church to the alter which is quite a distance. The men WALK beside the women. One lady was even carrying her son(I assume)on her back (piggyback) while she was crawling on her hands and knees. The male with her was walking beside them. Ouch! <BR> <BR>Try www.greektravel.com or <BR> <BR> www.greektravel.com/greekislands

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:13 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 07:17 PM
Alfred

I agreed with Teri. Nauplion is a great little town to visit. It is often overlooked by tourists, but it's a must-see. The city has an "old" town and it contains some very lovely houses and architecture. On top of the town is a beautiful fortress that, if you manage to walk up the 999 steps, will reward you with a breathtaking view of the city (and seemingly the whole world). The people are warm and friendly, and I really enjoyed my stay there a month ago. <BR>Hope you get the chance to see Nauplion. <BR>Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 17th, 1999, 07:26 PM
Elsa

Teri or Alfred, <BR>How far is Nauplion from Athens? How long does it take to get there and can you take a bus? THANKS.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 06:40 AM
Bill Barr

Elsa <BR> <BR>Nafplio is around 145 kilometres from Athens and there is a bus service from Terminal A at 100, Kifissou Street. Timetables can be found at:- <BR> <BR>http://www.ktel.org/argolis/en/athens.htm <BR> <BR>There is also a train service running from Peloponnisou Station in Athens (change at Argos). Unfortunately I don't have any information on the present schedules but perhaps someone else can help. <BR> <BR>Bill <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 06:55 AM
Bill Barr

Elsa <BR> <BR>Further to my last message I've now found that there are two express rail services per day from Athens to Nafplio. <BR> <BR>Service 1430 leaves at 07.24 arriving 10.35 and <BR> <BR>service 1432 leaves at 16.02 arriving <BR>19.09 <BR> <BR>Hope that helps <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 07:24 AM
Beth

If you drive, it seems I remember the drive from Athens to Napflion took about 2 hours. Some of the roads wound through the mountains and the views were great.

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 03:37 PM
April

There are write-ups on these places in the Frommer's Budget Travel Guide for Greece. <BR>