Reload this Page >

visting asturias

Search

visting asturias

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 02:04 PM
gerry

visting asturias

any recommendations for visiting asturias in spain where are the good beaches,nice small cove etc,we do not want "santa ponza" etc<BR>would like recommendations.Anybody rented a nice house near beach for 6

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:34 PM
Maribel

gerry,<BR>Asturias is one of my favorite regions in all of Spain (along with Galicia and Cantabria in northern "green" Spain).<BR>Consider the fishing villages of Luarca, Ribadesella or Llanes as bases for wonderful coastal drives and to discover those many secluded cove beaches, like La Franca, outside of Llanes. Tiny Cudillero, whose brightly painted houses seem to be falling into the bay, is also a delight for a day trip, as is Tazones. Drive inland to discover the less visited but "fifty shades of green" Los Oscos mountain region around Taramundi, on the western side. On the eastern side spend time in the gorgeous Picos de Europa at the stunning Parador at Cangas de Onis (you'll never want to leave) to explore Covadonga and the pristine lakes of Enol and Ercina above it, to hike the Cares gorge, to visit the paleolithic caves of Tito Bustillo and lovely little Romanesque churches around Oviedo. In the travel section of El Mundo Asturias was recently voted as its readers' favorite region.<BR>And check the pretty and inexpensive B&B's called the "Casonas Asturianas" for special lodgings of charm and character.<BR>www.casonasasturianas.com<BR>(a few can be rented for a family)<BR><BR>It's a delightful area!

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 03:41 PM
Maribel

For a rental house, also check<BR>www.casacantab.co.uk which handles properties on the Cantabrian sea, in Galicia, Cantabria and Asturias. <BR> <BR>And I forgot to mention summer rafting on the River Sella from Ribadesella to Arriondas. Plus that great Cabrales cheese and cider!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:44 AM
cooter

Maribel, you are really an asset to this forum. Thank you. Our next trip will focus on Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria, so I'm reviewing a lot of your posts.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Maribel

cooter,<BR>Take me with you! I'll walk ten paces behind, carry the bags, and keep quiet (I know my place)! <BR><BR>Seriously, if you'd like a copy of our "perfect intinerary for Galicia/Asturias/Cantabria", just send me an email. <BR><BR>correction: It's kayaking on the River Sella-got my watersports and rivers mixed up. Great rafting on the Noguera Pallaresa!

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 06:15 PM
Ralph

Do not miss Puerto de Vega, a small fishing village between Luarca and Navia. A few years ago Puerto de Vega received the Prince of Asturias' recognition as the most typical Asturian village. It is very traditional and picturesque, but also with a great nightlife; try great food and drinks at La Gaviota, Rest. Jorge, and La Marina. Then head to Havana Pub. Enjoy.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:57 AM
Maira

Maribel, what airport do you suggest to fly into if planning a visit to this region? <BR><BR>Your ideas sound wonderful.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:32 AM
Maribel

Maira,<BR>The "Oviedo-Gijon" airport is actually located in Ranon, 50 km. northwest of Oviedo and 40 km west of Gijon. Since Spanair flys the Madrid-Asturias route, they keep the fare LOW (around $85 now). They have a 10:40 a.m. flight, convenient for those coming into Madrid from the US. Also a 7:30 a.m. flight to connect back to Madrid with a US bound flight. And Spanair is so, so much better than Iberia with nice service and a good ontime record.<BR>Something certainly to consider.<BR><BR>The drive up to Cangas from Leon through the Desfiladero de los Beyes is truly phenomenal, although very slow going because you'll want to stop every 5 min. to snap another photo!<BR>I think you'd enjoy the Archivo de Indianos Museo de la Emigracion, in Colombres, which is housed in an actual turn of the century "indiano" mansion, with documents, artifacts about Asturian immigration to the Americas. <BR><BR>I'm eager to read maria's great posts on her Northern Spain thread describing her Asturian adventures.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Maribel

gerry,<BR>I also should have mentioned Luanco (btwn Aviles and Gijon) and Lastres, 2 other picturesque fishing villages that get 3 stars in that same guide. In Lastres, just north of Colunga, you can have a great plate of "fabes con almejas", the Asturian specialty, at El Cafetin, then drive inland down to the lookout point, the "Mirador de Fito", on the way to Arriondas. Don't miss this! From here one can see the sea, the Sueve nature reserve and the Picos in the distance. Just beautiful. You're also in the other Celtic region of Spain, which reminds me a bit of Wales.<BR>Pick up a CD ("Hevia" or "The Other Side") by the bagpipe sensation Jose Angel Hevia. You'll love it.<BR>You'll also see many road signs with the Spanish blackened out and "bable", (now called "l'asturianu") written in, which linguistic militants want to make Spain's 5th official language. And the asturianos are a very friendly bunch.<BR><BR>One wonderful aspect of an Asturias vacation is that you can have it all-"mar y montana" on the same day. You can take great hikes amidst simply splendid mountain scenery in the a.m. (Ribadesella t. office has great brochure of 5 easy walks) and spend the afternoon on secluded little cove beaches, like the 8 between Ribadesella and Llanes alone! Then in the evening go to a traditional Asturian cider house, a llagar, and try your hand at cider pouring, with bottle raised high above your head, glass tilted outward in left hand, arm stretched out, so that the cider will get the proper "bounce" upon reaching glass. Drink one gulp then pour the rest on the ground, which by then will be too "flat" to drink!<BR>PLUS fabulous food from new Asturian chefs who, according to the food critics, are "staging a culinary revolution". Terrific cuisine at places like the Taberna Viavelez Puerto in the tiny fishing village of Viavelez, El Corral del Indianu in Arriondas, Casa Marcial nearby, El Cabroncin in Lugones or Casa Gerardo in Prendes.<BR><BR>If you love art and architecture, you can also follow the route of the pre-Romanesque churches, like the beautiful San Miguel de Lillo, San Salvedor de Valdedios and Santa Maria del Naranco, in the Villaviciosa area.<BR><BR>In addition to all that, you have charming lodging choices for all budgets. Besides the lovely Casonas Asturianas group. there are other more simple but cute "casas de aldea" (like the "casas rurales" of the Basque country), such as the Posada del Valle near Arriondas, the Montana Magica, Puente Conceyu and the Ama de Llaves for around 50-60 euros with brk.<BR><BR>If you read Spanish, there's tons of free info at<BR>www.infoasturias.com <BR>www.asturiasrural.com<BR><BR>For following the cider route, <BR>www.turisidra.com

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:43 AM
Maribel

Oops! Inadvertently cut the top off my last post:<BR><BR>Ralph,<BR>Thanks for the tip on Puerto de Vega-had completely missed it. <BR>I just read about the little ethnographic museum there that recreates an Asturian traditinal dwelling. I'm looking at pictures of Puerto de Vega now in my "pueblos pescadores con encanto" guide. Will be my next "must see".

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maribel,

I've just found this thread of 12 months ago &amp; would greatly appreciate it if you could forward me ([email protected]) a copy of your 'perfect itinerary for Galicia/Asturia/Cantabria'

Thanks
Ranald
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 06:09 AM

Gerry,

We visited these areas last year. Search the Spain forum for Northern Spain and you will find our pre and post trip threads. it was phenomenal. Let me know if you need more info. We will be in Spain again from Oct 30th until November 15th so there may be a delay in my responses in that time.

Maria
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 12:50 PM

What about the town of Aviles? A friend is trying to convince me to visit for a week in January. Any hotel/restaurant tips?

Thanks.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:34 PM

Matisee,
Avil&eacute;s is industrial-steel factories galore; it's not my idea of a great Asturian town, but I've never spent time in the Old Quarter, which they say is actually inviting.
Oviedo is only 1/2 hr. away on the A 66, and it's a great city with a very atmospheric Old Quarter; I'd much rather spend time there.

Sorry I can't give you personal recs for lodging and dining in Avil&eacute;s. The Michelin red guide, Jaguar, Gu&iacute;a Campsa and Gourmetour agree on the Casa Tataguyo 6, in the Old Quarter on the Plaza del Carbayedo, an atmospheric hundred yr. old stone coaching inn with rustic decor (special kudos go to their fabada and homemade desserts).
According to Gourmetour, the good &quot;chigres&quot;, cider houses, are Casa Lin and Alvar&iacute;n.
Oviedo has great restaurants, and Villaviciosa is the capital of Asturian cider, where chigres abound!

Don't know what price hotel you'd need, but the Silken Villa de Avil&eacute;s is the best in town and isn't very exp. but not dead center.
www.hoteles-silken.com
You might prefer the Luzana or the De La Villa.

But again, I'd spend most of my time in Oviedo.
But from Avil&eacute;s, you'll be close to adorable Cudillero, the fishing village that reminds me of a Cinque Terre town. But things will be very quiet on the Asturian coast in Jan!
The 2 hotels we saw that we really liked there, the cute, cute Casa de P&iacute;o in this tiny vertical town and the Casona de la Paca, an indiano mansion outside of town and member of Casonas Asturianas, close tight in Jan.
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Maribel,
!Que respuesta rapida!

Muchas Gracias.