Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting the Dolomites in late October - need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a trip to Italy with my husband and our toddler. We are flying in/out of Venice and were hoping to include a few days (maybe 4) exploring the Dolmites - Bolzano to Cortina perhaps spending two or three nights in Val Gardena and using that as a base.

We would be there at the very end of October and we'd like to know what the atmosphere and conditions might be then? Will we have missed all the fall foliage? Will all the cable cars be closed? Is it even worth going there at that time of year? Should we save this area for another visit to Italy? We don't want to go if it's simply a horrible time to be driving/walking around that area and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks! Sara
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM

It will be pretty quiet, but if there is a chance of good weather (which someone else can hopefully answer) it could be a nice time to go.

Here's the schedule for the lifts:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/lifts/page65.html

You'll see that the lift up to Alpe di Siusi from Ortesei is the latest one open; it runs until 25 October. The others close before that.

I checked the Val Gardena for accommodations around that time and it cam up with a number of hotels open the last week of October. And I see there is a tennis tournament going on that week:

http://www.valgardena.it/en/highlights/page43.html

Every year I get promotional e-mails from both Val Badia and Val Gardena, promoting the pleasures of Autumn in the Dolomites (including mushrooming), and offering specials on lodging. But I don't remember the dates they cover.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Enzian,

Thank you - helpful links. Our current plan is drive from Venice to the Dolomites on October 26th, which seems to put us right after all the lifts close. More to think about - and hopefully someone can chime in about the weather that time of the year.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Sara,

We visited the Dolomites in '03 and '06 in mid October. We just returned Friday from a trip that included the Dolomites. As of then, there was no signs of fall foliage yet. As Enzian mentioned, the Mont Seuc cable car in Ortisei runs the latest into October and closes Oct. 24th, according to their website.

www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com/eng/preise.htm

If cable cars aren't important, the drives along some of the passes will be spectacular in their place. While we've stayed in both Val Gardena and Alta Badia, I'd pick Val Gardena at this time of year, as there are more restaurants, shops, etc. in this area. Alta Badia was pretty quiet compared to Val Gardena even last week. If interested, we have a few photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/articles/355539/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/324504/index.html

www.worldisround.com/articles/351565/index.html

I can't imagine it being a horrible time for walking and driving at the end of October in the Dolomites.

Another interesting website for Dolomite drives is:

www.alpineroads.com/dolomites.php

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 05:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi again,

I meant to add that no one can predict the weather in late October anywhere. What I will offer is that on our 2 trips in mid October, we had excellent weather. Day time temps in the 60's to even the low 80's (which was one day in Brixen) and chilly to cold nights and mornings. We love traveling to the Alps and Dolomites in October. We would have this year but the way work was going, we had to go in September. Last week we didn't need a jacket of any kind, just a short sleeve shirt. Very warm during the days.

Paul
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Paul,
Thank - info on temperature ranges was exactly what we were looking for (with an understanding that mother nature is unpredictable)

Your photos are beautiful! We want to stay in that room with that view - any tips on what to ask for when making a reservation? I think we'll stay one night Alta Badia and maybe two nights in Val Gardena - unless folks have other recommendations? - Sara
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:04 AM

Hi Sara - The last lift running is usually the Alpe di Siusi one from the village of Siusi (- near Castelrotto). It closes on 4 Nov.

Bullaccia chairlift (- up on the Alpe di Siusi) closes on 31 Oct.

Personally I'd base in Val Gardena for your entire stay (- especially at that time of year) - it's hardly worth changing hotels for one night IMO. You can tour the entire area easilly from Val Gardena.

As it's low season you could maybe decide in Venice whether or not to visit the Dolomites - depending on the weather forecast.

www.valgardena.it
www.seiseralm.it
www.altabadia.org

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Steve, Thank you!

After thinking about it, we will base ourselves out of Val Gardena and we'll likely just wait until we arrive to find a place to stay. I'm guessing this won't be much of a problem considering the season?

Paul, Steve, or anyone....any thoughts on the drive up from Venice? Is there a worthwhile overnight stop? A best route to take to Val Gardena? We head to Trieste after our Dolomites adventure.

Many thanks - Sara
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Just came back from a trip to Lake Garda, to Dolomites to Venice.

Started out by renting a car at the Venice airport. We decided to do two nights in Sirmione, a town on a spit into Lake Garda, on the way to the Dolomites. A beautiful spot. Very busy. Lake is gorgeous and town has a castle (not in use, but you drive through its gates if your hotel is inside this part of Sirmione).
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 04:51 AM

Sara - Best route to Val Gardena? You basically have two options -

- a scenic route through the mountains, or
- the fast autostrada route via Verona/Trento/Bolzano.

If you're not in a hurry - and *IF* the weather is good - I'd recommend the mountain route via Cortina and the Dolomite passes. The drive between Cortina and Val Gardena (- Passo Falzarego- Passo Valparola- San Cassiano- Corvara- Passo Gardena) is spectacularly beautiful.
Driving time from Venice on this route is about 4 hrs, I think.

If the weather isn't good - or if you are in a hurry - take the autostrada route via Verona/Bolzano instead.

I probably wouldn't stop overnight enroute - but it really depends how many days you have.

Steve
Old Sep 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve, your response makes a lot of sense. With an overnight stop between Venice and Val Gardena, we'll have three nights in the Dolomites. But for the moment, I think we'll that whole part of the trip open depending on weather and the mood of our toddler.

The total trip is 19 days, covering Venice, Dolomites, Trieste and Slovenia.