Reload this Page >

Visiting Switzerland

Search

Visiting Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 10:15 AM
Bob Brown

Visiting Switzerland

We will be in Switzerland in September, arriving in Zurich and visiting Bern, Luzerne, Interlaken, Saas Fee, and Zermatt. I have three specific questions for which I would like some advice: <BR>1) Does the airport in Zurich provide luggage carts to assist in getting to the train like one finds in most large US airports? <BR> <BR>2) How well does the baggage check system work for our large suitcase, which is a small monster if carried for over 100 yards? <BR> <BR>3) Does a man need a coat and tie for the better <BR>(not the best) restaurants?? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the help. After all, I don't want to be on the front page of the tacky tourist gazette that <BR>has become so popular on this board. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 11:27 AM
Donna

There are nifty luggage carts at the airport (and all the train stations). Not huge though. If you are taking an oversized bag, you may wish to reconsider and take two smaller ones. You'll be glad you did. We took our pullmans once. Never again. Anyway, you need the correct change for a luggage cart (don't remember which coin you need). Your coin releases the cart. When you return the cart, you receive another of the same coin back. Be advised, however, that there are often folks who will offer to return the carts for you (assuming you don't realize you receive a refund which they then get to pocket). We always let them do this (they're not bums, just folks trying to pick up extra money). Baggage check system? Do you mean on the trains? It's easier just to take it along with you - another good reason for managable pieces. As I recall, you have to arrive really early prior to departure to check bags. If you do take them on the train with you, make sure you and your bags are ready to go when the train arrives and that you can get them on with you in one trip onto the train. The doors open, then close really fast and the train takes off. Whatever you do, do not leave anything on the platform with the idea of making a second trip - the train will take off before you can retrieve the rest of your stuff. Unless you plan on dining in really fancy restaurants, don't bother with a coat and tie. Dress is rather formal in Zurich because it's a business center and folks are generally dressed in their workday attire. Casual attire is acceptable everywhere. But, smart casual, not jogging suits or tee-shirts with transfers and so forth. If you're going to take sneakers (and you should), a pair of black or dark tan Rockports is better than white. While wearing "athletic" attire or shoes will probably not deny you access anywhere, the more appropriately you're dressed, the better you'll blend. Dining in Switzerland is really expensive. For some reason, the best place nearly anywhere for good food at reasonable prices is the train station. The restaurants at the stations (and in the immediate vicinity - especially in Zurich) are very nice. Be sure to take a menu translator. In Switzerland, you'll need German, Italian and French, depending on the town you're visiting. In the German areas, you have to look up every syllable (you won't find the entire word in your glossary). The Berlitz European menu reader is pretty good. Has all those languages and others. Another thing about the restaurants in Switzerland - from the outside, many look very plain and unappealing. But, once inside, you'll be amazed at the incredible decors!

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 11:32 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Bob <BR>1. Zurich-Kloten has baggage carts which you pick up at baggage area, these can be used thruout the airport and down to the railway below, and as is rarely seen used on the escalators, both up and down.. <BR>2.Have oft used the baggage system in CH. If you are taking Swissair you can check your bag at your departure terminal and it will be delivered to your destination in Switzerland, namely the next morning, however once followed by bags from Kloten thru Zurich, thru Bern and to Interlaken after being checked thru to Grindelwald. If not you can take your bag to the railway office on the lower level and check it thru to your swiss destination. We have in the past checked all our luggage in Chicago other than our carryons and had it delivered to Grindelwald , late afternoon of our arrival in CH. <BR>#3 A jacket and tie are not the exceptions to ristorante in CH, I think it depends entirely upon the rist., some may have dress codes, some not. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 01:21 PM
bob brown

Thanks to all of your for the swift responses to my original message. <BR> <BR>We will be taking KLM - Northwest from <BR>Atlanta to Amsterdam and changing for Zurich, all on KLM. <BR> <BR>KLM has almost draconian restrictions on carryon baggage sizes. I have the KLM brochure on cabin baggage and it gives the maximum acceptable size as being 13.78 inches x 21.65 x 9.84 when converted from centimeters. <BR> <BR>If any readers of the forum have have had recent experience with KLM, perhaps you can give me an answer to this question: how much will they allow you be slightly over the size limits -- perhaps 2 dimensions are within the limits and the 3rd one slightly over. (I know this is going to be an anecdotal response because it is probably up to the desk person I talk to, but perhaps there is some leeway and not ironclad enforcement of the measurements.) <BR> <BR>Again, thanks for your response.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 05:02 PM
Donna

To determine whether you can exceed the official baggage regulations and, if so, by how much, you should call the carrier and hope that you get an accurate answer. Up until recently, most airlines did not strictly enforce their restrictions. But, from what I have seen, read, and heard, this is quickly changing. Many now have wooden forms - and, if your luggage does not fit in it you cannot bring it on board. Others have hi-tech machines which determine whether or not your bag exceeds the limit. There are enough potential continengies involved in overseas travel. Best to just have luggage which will not create any problems. Most of us are delighted that the airlines are enforcing their carry on restrictions. It's more than a little discouraging when you can't find a place to stash your one "regulation" sized carry-on because others have blatently violated the rules and taken up all the space with all sorts of huge and unusual items. I would also note that in the Zurich airport we happened to observe an airline (can't remember which one) which brought out a huge luggage cart just before the plane boarded. The attendants handed tags to those with oversized items whereupon they had to step aside, fill out the tag, affix it to their stuff and go to the end of the line. And, there was a huge serious looking guy with a badge looming about - so, there was no arguing about this!