Reload this Page >

Visiting Oberammergau , Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 05:50 PM
Patrick

Is visiting Oberammergau, Germany from Salzburg, Austria worth the trip? Is there a direct route between these two towns? How long should it take by train?

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Russ

No. You're looking at about a 4-hour ride each way via Munich. If you were going to spend several days in the area and see the Zugspitze, Garmisch, Mittenwald, Füssen, the Wieskirche, and maybe some of the lakes region, then perhaps - but Oberammergau itself offers little but scenery, scenery that you could achieve with a 40-minute train ride to Berchtesgaden and Königssee, which are in Salzburg's backyard, or in nearby Hallstatt.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:00 AM
Maira

We visited Salzburg while staying at Oberammergau and it was nowhere near four hours and we did not got no where near Munich. I recalled stpopping at Innsbruck and at Berchtesgaden. I am sure it can be done by train. We drove thru beautiful countryside.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 03:44 AM
Russ

Maira: It's 4 hours BY TRAIN. The TRAINS go through Munich. Them's the facts about the TRAINS. It's very time-consuming to cross southern Bavaria by train from east to west. It's 5-6 hours if you want to travel via Innsbruck by train.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Maira

Ok, Ross, I understand now your answer. What I didn't quite got was the question was absolutely limited to trains. <BR> <BR>On that note, Patrick, would you consider driving?