visiting Naples and Sorrento

Jan 8th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

visiting Naples and Sorrento

Does anyone have experience in staying in Naples and visiting the towns on the Amalfi drive as a day trip? My partner and I would prefer to stay in Naples and then take the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento and then the SITA bus to Positano, returning to Naples in the evening. Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for moderately priced hotels in Naples in the center of town?

Thanks
Jan 8th, 2004, 12:42 PM
ira

Hi gourmet,

We stayed in Naples at the Albergo Sansevero. They have a website. They have an elevator up to the reception area, but you have to walk down to your room. It is well situated.

If you are going to the AC, I suggest doing an overnight. We stayed at the Hotel Le Sirene in Praiano.

See my trip report

Ira?s TripReport
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34451044
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I would suggest staying in Naples for a few days and ten go to AC to see that area. It would be much easier logistically.

From naples you can see Pompeii, Ercolano and Caserta, as well as Naples. Then unjoy the AC for a few days.

Hotel Pinto Storey is a nice, modestly priced hotel, about E120, in a good, convenient neighborhood.
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM

I think that staying in Sorrento and day tripping is much nicer. Naples gets a little sketchy at night and has a bit of an industrial feel. Sorrento is full of restaurants, bars, and stores that are open into the evening. It is also much more central of a location to day trip from
Jan 8th, 2004, 04:42 PM

We did a similar itinerary. We have heard that Naples is not worth a stop, except to visit their national museum or to change trains. Consider this:

Take the Circumvesuviana, but stop at Pompeii, which is about a block from the train station. The SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano is one of the great rides (sit on the right hand side). Consider taking the bus south and the ferry back I recommend you overnight in Positano or Sorrento rather than Naples. Sorrento is a lovely town. You can also take the ferry from Sorrento to Capri.
Mar 10th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help!I have another question, does anyone have experience doing Capri on the way from Naples to Sorrento? I understand that arriving in Sorrento bt boat is really nice, so we were thinking of taking the hydrofoil to Capril from Naples, leave our bags in the left luggage, and then departing at the end of the day for Sorrento. I know the boats for Sorrento leave from the Piccolo Porto...how far away is that from the Grande Porto where our bags will probably be? Thanks again for the help
Mar 10th, 2004, 07:09 AM
yk

hi gourmet2go-

I am not quite sure I understand your question. You want to go from Naples to Capri via hydrofoil, then leave your bags in Capri while you go sightsee. Then take the hydrofoil from Capri to Sorrento. Won't you get your bags at Capri and have them with you when you get into Sorrento?

Anyhow, to answer your question, the 2 marinas are at least 1/2 mile apart. I am not sure whether there is a path by the sea that links them together. If not, you would have to hike up the steep cliff back to the Sorrento town before you can go down the cliff to the other marina. There are taxis readily available at Marina Piccolo when I was there last time.
Mar 10th, 2004, 12:48 PM

I loved Napoli and plan to return. Did not find it "sketchy" in the least, except perhaps for the area immediately around the train station. (As a point of reference, I'm a female in her 30s who was traveling alone. But I live in a big city at home.)

Can recommend from personal experience the Hotel Sansevero Degas, right off the Piazza del Gesu in the old center.
http://www.albergosansevero.it/
May 6th, 2004, 06:07 AM

Thanks for your comment Lesli, especially about Naples. I'm a woman in my 40's and plan on travelling solo to this area at the end of this month (May). I had been a bit concerned given some of the comments about the city.
I do have a couple of questions though:
--I'll be arriving at the NAP airport in the late morning, then plan to take the train/bus into town (I'll only have a small carry on bag as luggage). I'm staying at the Excelsior in Naples, so I assume it would be best to take a taxi from the station?? The next day I was hoping to take a ferry or hydrofoil for my 2 day stay in Sorrento at the Hilton. Will they be running at that time (last weekend in May). From Sorrento I was hoping to visit Amalfi, Positano, Ravello, Capri etc (whatever timing allows), but via public transporation. I'll then travel back from Sorrento to the Naples airport, then on back to London for my flight home. I know 3 days is not a lot of time, but I love to walk, speak a little italian and have travelled solo many many times. I tend to eat early (7ish??), is this going to be a problem?
And am not too concerned about nightlife and do not plan on wandering around Naples alone at night!!!--Can anyone suggest spots for a drink with a view along my itinery??
May 6th, 2004, 06:26 AM

In Capri, all ferries and hydrofoils use the same harbour, though to avoid a long walk you need to check which berth your vessel uses. Sorrento is the same, with all boats using a harbour which has little buses to the town centre - it's only a short walk horizontally but a stiff climb even without luggage.
The first time I visited the area many years ago, I arrived at Napoli Centrale to find the Circumvesuviana trains were on strike till the afternoon, so I decided to get a boat to Capri then another to Sorrento. There is a left luggage office by the harbour in Capri.
May 6th, 2004, 09:21 AM

In Sorrento the Marina Grande is the little harbor and the Marina Piccola is the big one. Of course. The ferries leave from the latter, and if (as we did last week) you get on the bus to the former, thinking it was the latter, you will enjoy a bus ride back up the hill, another connection, then a different bus back down to the right place. I asked the bus driver if we could walk quickly and he said no, unless you brought scuba gear.
May 6th, 2004, 09:32 AM

I will be taking the hydrofoil/ferry from Naples to Sorrento. Do they leave from the same spot in Naples? Any idea of the cost-I thought that would be a better choice than the train if I had the time.
May 6th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I'm interested in this as well.
May 7th, 2004, 01:54 AM

Naples-Sorrento hydrofoils leave from MOLO BEVERELLO dock in Naples about every two hours.

Current fare is € 7.50

Hope this helps ...

Steve