Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visit to Pisa while in Florence and Tuscany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to Florence for 3 1/2 days in March -- the 16th through 2 p.m. on the 19th when we take the train to Rome. On Wednesday, the 18th, we have a private driver-guide to take us on a winery tour in Chianti for a full day (7 hours). Here are my questions:

Should we have the driver take us to Pisa in the morning to see the Duomo and tower and then head to the wineries? My thought is after three or so wineries, we'll will have had enough. Is this more often than not the case?

How far is it from Florence to Pisa? I would hate to be close to Pisa and then not go.

Or should we forgo Pisa and just do the wineries and maybe Siena?

If it is recommended that we go to Pisa, do you also recommend that we get tickets to climb the tower this time of year or will we be okay to take our chances on a wait?

Thank you all for any guidance!

Best,
Rene
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM

Pisa is way too far.
Plan to visit San Gimignano or Siena.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:53 PM

Pisa is only a little over an hour by train so I think it wouldn't be too long if you are driving. OP's can correct me.

I wouldn't miss the Leaning Tower or the spectacular duomo. Can one make an appt. to climb the tower online? We went in March and couldn't get right into the tower but had enough time to tour the duomo while we waited.

A morning wouldn't be enough for Siena IMHO but would be OK for San Gim if you just walk through. There's a fair duomo and towers to climb there. Do-able but I vote for Pisa.

Go to Pisa in the a.m., then do the wineries and end up in San Gim. for the evening. That is, if you can still walk!
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your advice. I think we'll go to Pisa in the a.m. and the wineries in the afternoon then!

Thanks!
Rene
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 02:07 AM

Rene,

Have I missed something? Do you want to do Pisa in the morning and the chianti wineries in the afternoon????

That's pretty much impossible. It's an hour west to pisa and it's in the opposite direction to chianti (southeast). If you want to enjoy chianti, you should dedicate the whole day to it and not try to combine it with Pisa. Chianti isn't just wineries. It's beautiful countryside, with nice towns, and you'll want to have a nice lunch somewhere. 7 hours will go quickly! Also, there are plenty of places to see between Florence and chianti which won't burn up half your day on the road.

Aren't you going to spend any time touring Florence?? You really don't have that much time there and there's lots to see.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:38 AM

I've been wrong several times but do ask your driver about the logistics. If you leave early enough, I still think Pisa a.m. and Chianti after will be fine. How many wineries are on the agenda?
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments. I have sent an email to the company that put our trip together, Italysource.com, to find out the additional cost and logistics. I'm not sure yet how many wineries are included in our agenda.

After reading Steve's comment, it may make more sense to stick with the original plan. We will be in Florence for 3 1/2 days with one of the days the winery tour. While I have been to Florence previously, my two travel mates have not. One of them really wanted to see Tuscany and a few wineries. Maybe Pisa and environs should be saved for another visit...I'm not finished with Italy yet :~)

Best regards,

Rene
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 05:24 AM

Or, and again that's if you can still walk, have the driver drop you off at Pisa and take the train back to Florence. Other posters, how late can one go up the tower???
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:54 AM
ira

Ditto sssteve.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM

As I said, Pisa is nice, but I think Siena or San Gamignano are far preferable for a day trip if you are staying in Florence for just 3.5 days.

Pisa is a romantic notion, but it shoots at least half a day and just isn't worth it given your time constraints.

Go to Siena and visit the "pajama striped" cathedral! You won't be sorry!
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies and advice. We have decided to scrap Pisa and concentrate on what lies between Florence and Siena.

Thank you!