Reload this Page >

Visit to Norway and Finland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 1997, 11:09 AM
Linda Gaschler

Would like any feedback on tours of Norway and Finland. Tour companys or individual travel recommended?

Old Mar 25th, 1997, 11:28 AM
Peter Lie

Linda,

I've been to Norway and Sweden in Summer 96. We travelled by car to the North Cape. Travelling is by car is very comfortable, good roads but petrol is expensive about US$1.25 per liter. Accomodation can be easily found at any campingground. They rent cabins (sober but warm) for a reasonable price (US$20 per cabin, 4 people max.). Don't go for dinner in a restaurant. Expensive and you are sitting alone most of the time except in Oslo. Buy your food at the grocery at prepare it yourself.
Norway is very safe to travel. Friendly people and out there in the North there's nobody but nature and you.

Cheers,

Peter Lie
The Netherlands

Old May 17th, 1997, 01:15 PM
Helena

I live in Finland and have guided several foreign friends here and they have really enjoyed Helsinki, Tampere and the lake region and Lapland. You might want to take guided tours in major cities and then rent a car or travel by train or fly. Do you enjoy opera? They perform great opera in historical Olavinlinna castle in city of Savonlinna in beautiful lake region and theree is also a very nice art display in under ground caves. In Tampere you just have to visit Moominvalley and get to know those adorable little creatures and their philosophy. And dont forget to have warm smoked salmon and reindeer stake! You wont regret it. If you have any more guestions, feel free to write and ask.

Old Jun 19th, 1997, 05:44 PM
Brenda

My Finnish exchange son just went home June 16. He
is from the town of Kuopio in Eastern Finland. This
is in the lake region of Finland and from the pictures
I have seen and what he has told me it seems a very
pretty area. They also have a huge market place in
the center of town. You might consider stopping
there if you go on your own. It may also be included
in tours.

Old Jun 23rd, 1997, 07:41 PM
TBevC

Just want to add a bit about both beautiful countries. Several years ago I went to Norway on a railpass. Beautiful country, but my love was Finnland in the winter. I went (alone) to snowmobile when I was 66 years young. My son and I are going again this winter. I loved the friendly wonderful people and had a great time.

Old Jun 28th, 1997, 06:50 PM
Anne Bergan

I travel to Norway almost every year, and the best way to see the country is by car. Trains are great, but you can't stop when you see something of interest. Eat at "Veikro" restaurants, they are not so expensive. Hotdog stands (kiosks) abound - try one with shrimp salad rolled in a "lompe" (like a potatoe tortilla) ! Oslo is worth 3-4 days, also try Bergen, Stavanger, Arendal and Bodø (don't miss the maelstrom !). In the summer many families open their homes to travelers, renting out their guestrooms. CLEAN !! And a great oportunity to meet "real" people. Look for signs that say "Rom til leie/leige" (Room for rent).
Enjoy your trip ! God tur !