Visit to Claude Monet's Garden

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and are arriving CDG 7/2 at approx 9 a.m. and plan to pick up our rental car and head to Giverny to visit Monet's home/garden. I expect to reach Giverny by noon at the latest. Is this too late? I've heard that it can be very crowded and we want to get to Bayeux that same day. Do we have the time to stop in Giverny? How long should we plan on staying there? thanks for your feedback.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:24 AM

My husband and I were there the same time last year. I think it took us about 2-2.5 hours to get there from a town near CDG. We arrived around noon and it was a bit crowded so we stopped for lunch at a hotel restaurant down the street - which was very nice. It still was crowded at Monet's, but not uncomfortably so. A few hours is more than enough. The garden is absolutely beautiful.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:30 AM

Last year we covered the same ground but in a different order.<BR><BR>Traffic is always a variable particularly getting out of Paris itself. With ordinary luck it is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to Giverny and up to two hours more to Bayeux.<BR><BR>There are many buses coming to visit. As you are right in middle of tourist season Giverny should be quite crowded. I would think an hour and half for tour itself would be plenty of time there.<BR><BR>You might consider doing what we did which was to go right to Bayeux from CDG and then stop at Giverny on way back, say in mid afternoon when the press of visitors might be reduced a bit. Giverny is a great photo-op.<BR><BR>Good luck.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:34 AM

You will absolutely love it. Crowds weren't bad at all. The line for the house moves rather fast. The gardens far more spectacular than I could have imagined. <BR><BR>The only downside was they wouldn't let anyone take pictures of the interior of the house which is completely understandable but their giftshop (which was Monet's studio) has plenty of picture postcards.<BR><BR>I can honestly say I enjoyed it more than Versailles,which was beautiful but overwhelming.<BR><BR>Enjoy
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM

http://giverny.org/index.htm
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with Powell&quot;s post. We also left Paris early in the morning to arrive in Giverny early in the day. This was during the first week in June. When we got in line we checked with different people in line as to how long they had been in line and found the wait to be 2-21/2 hours. We decided to come back on the way from Bayeux, and had only a twenty minute wait. It was a truly wonderful experience, worth waiting for, but not at the expense of eliminating a day in Bayeux.