Virus alert

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:04 PM
xx

Virus alert

I have been using an e-mail address set up exclusively for this forum. Today I received a message asking my advice on the attached fax. I was suspicious because the file was named xx.doc.com so I deleted it. I have since seen a warning about the SirCam virus:

A new virus has been discovered that has the possibility to fill up users' hard drives, delete files, distribute private documents, hide itself from typical virus scanners, and propagate itself across the Internet using the Microsoft Outlook address book.

It typically looks like this:

Hi! How are you?
I send you this fax for your advice.
See you later. Thanks

It was a hotmail account but the Macafee scanner did not detect it. Another good reason not to use your real e-mail address.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Art

It also hit aol mail accounts and seems to read your address book and perpetuate itself. It doesn't matter whether you use your real e-mail or not.

Art

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:12 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Wow--I have received at least 5 of these in the past 2 days--all with different headings but the same message.
I have deleted them all---BUT BE VERY WARY. I get questions " for my advice" everyday and this one looked tempting.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:15 PM
JOdy

I got it 4 times also, fortunatly I didn't open them, don't know why. I use yahoo for this forum, and I blocked the sender, should that help?

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Thyra

I keep getting them from a Ken Hoglund then it says... need advice on resume. or recipes... I've gotten about 4 of them... I just delete them.

Jul 24th, 2001, 01:26 PM
sam

I've had some from Beverly Schlegel with subject FAX COVER SHEET

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Howard

I've gotten two, both from [email protected]. One was titled Doc4 and the other WebCrack40.

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Earnest

I got it, and it got me.

E

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:22 PM
elvira

This is the warning we got from our computer department:
Virus alert: new virus (known as SirCam) is currently very prevalent on the Internet.

The SirCam worm will send email containing an attachment and message text that begins with

Hi! How are you?
and then either of these four lines:
I send you this file in order to have your advice
or
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
or
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
or
This is the file with the information that you ask for

or in Spanish:

Hola como estas
and then either of these four lines:
Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
or
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
or
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
or
Este es el archivo con la información que me pediste

If you receive such an email, SIMPLY DELETE IT.

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:56 PM
jack

I just spent 1 hour getting rid of that SirCAm virus. Please Beware!!

Jul 24th, 2001, 02:59 PM
Rex

One (of the few?) advantage(s) of having a web-based e-mail service like usa.net (which, much to my chagrin, is going to no-more-free service next week).

Virus senders presumably know there is not much point in sending their viruses there.

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:02 PM
Debs

Thanks for the alert-not only did I get the English version at home, but also the Spanish version at work. You just can't win !

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:36 PM
kam

I just got one a couple hours ago--it was titled GI Sponsor Program or something like that. I don't use my real email here, and that virus was sent to my real email. Scary stuff.

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Art

I received my first one from a fodorite. I emailed her and she responded right away that it was a virous. You can get it from anyone that has your email. It seems to search any address book that you have, doesn't matter if it is aol, yahoo etc. Be very careful and make sure that you delee it right away.
Regards,
Art

Jul 24th, 2001, 03:54 PM
Lori Ann

I was researching Paris hotels earlier this year and had reserved a particular one, but cancelled reservation.
The other day I received an E-Mail supposedly from this hotel stating "Hi! How are you?" "Please review this LETTRED" Sounded too suspicious to me, so I deleted it. Lucky me! Glad to hear that I made the right decision on that one! Thanks for the report!

Jul 24th, 2001, 07:20 PM
HELP!

I received a letter from a young woman asking for my advice. Since that time I have been inundated with emails that my Outlook Express returns to the sender as they are too lenghty for my disc. The problem is they take so long to load thereby causing problems with my business related emails.
Does anyone know how to eliminate this?
Thanks in advance.

Jul 24th, 2001, 07:41 PM
JOdy

someone posted the advice a while ago,that you should add something in the middle of your email address. Spammers grab all the addresses from this site. so
my real email address is [email protected],com, I post it as [email protected], so they can pick it up but it doesn't go anywhere, if someone wants to email me personallly they can figure out to dropthe no spam! It has eliminated almost all my spam.

Jul 24th, 2001, 09:50 PM
Audrey

I received this message from someone whose name I vaguely recognized. I did a search and sure enough it was someone from this forum - the email was regarding a reading list and the heading resembled that of one of the reading list posts from here. I deleted it but it said something like: wanted your advise on this book list. It made me wonder if this virus was somehow linked to this forum, because I had never corresponded with this person.

Audrey

Jul 24th, 2001, 11:15 PM
Bjorn Alvik

I found a description of the Sircam virus on:
http://www.norman.no/virus_info/w32_sircam.shtml

Maybe that can help?
Bjorn, Oslo

Jul 25th, 2001, 01:27 AM
kate

Hi All - Does anyone know how to rid one's machine of this virus if it is inadvertently opened up?
Bjorn - do you recommend that Norman company you mentioned?
I need real help here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO