Reload this Page >

Virgin's cabin baggage restrictions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:43 PM
JC

I recently flew on a Virgin transatlantic flight (Heathrow to Newark) and was extremely surprised and upset to discover that their weight limit for carry-on bags is a measly 6 kg! I am a frequent traveler and make a point a packing a small bag which can be carried on board since I hate waiting for checked-in baggage. Unfortunately, my bag was above the measly 6 kg and I was ordered to check in my bag. I have never had this problem before with other airlines. To add insult to injury, after everyone was done boarding, I noticed that most of the overhead baggage compartments were empty since almost everyone had to check in their bags. I will never fly Virgin again if they continue this ridiculous policy. So, my warning to Virgin customers is to pack really light if you don't want to check in bags.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Andy

I too just recently flew Virgin Atlantic- prior to my departure date, I called to find out the weight restricitons and sizes for carry on--I was told 13 lbs. So I packed and re=packed and got my stuff down to 14 lbs. No one weighed it and I put it in the overhead--as did everyone else. If you were grossly overweight (bag wise) I would assume they would ask you to check your bag. Next time before you fly, call ahead..ALL overseas planes ahve virtually the same restrictions as Virgin Atlantic. However, some weigh your luggage, some eyeball it and some don't care..so it's a hit or miss situation.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:59 PM
janis

Both BA and Virgin have a 6 kilo limit But I have found that normally only BA enforces it on US to UK flights, while both tend to enforce it UK to US. But this is prominitely noted on their tickets and web sites so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:12 AM
AnnaC

I think you'll find that most international airlines impose a 5 or 6 kg limit on cabin baggage. When I first flew to the US on American Airlines I was astonished to discover that you can take much more on board with them.<BR><BR>In recent years, apart from American, I've flown with British Airways, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Thai Airlines and soon to fly on Virgin. All of these have a 5-6kg cabin baggage limit.<BR><BR>There are good reasons for this - anything heavier than this falling on someone's head from an overhead locker would do serious damage (in fact, I wouldn't fancy 6kg landing on my head). The other is space. On full long haul flights there never seems to be sufficient space to get everyone's bags in the overhead lockers even with the limit. That means more bags on the floor which can be a safety issue, as many people seem utterly incapable of pushing their bag properly under the seat in front.<BR><BR>I can really appreciate how you feel about this - but please remember that airlines usually make rules for a good reason. <BR><BR>If you have a real problem with checking your bag and it's only a little over the 6kg limit, try talking very nicely to the check in staff and you may get lucky, but don't push it. I once got my 9kg bag into the cabin on a short haul European flight by smiling at the check in person when asked if I had anything to check, putting my bag on the scales and saying - this is too heavy to take as carry on isn't it? She smiled back and said - I'll let you off this once, but make sure you put it well into the locker so it doesn't fall out. <BR><BR>I've heard of other people carrying over 6kg of camera equipment who have managed to get it in by very pleasantly explaining the damage that could be caused by putting it in the hold - those baggage handlers!<BR><BR>So, the message is - check the restrictions before you pack, expect to have to comply with them, but smiling nicely and being calm and pleasant just might get you somewhere.<BR><BR>PS - I really shouldn't say this, but I did once get a heavy bag into the cabin by not putting it on the scales properly - leaving the heavy end of the bag (2 bottles of port, I was coming back from Lisbon) on the metal frame at the front. I would not encourage this behaviour, and have felt guilty ever since! Also, the sharp eyed check-in staff usually spot this one - I've seen others try it and fail.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 11:24 AM
Ann

Actually, this would make me fly Virgin MORE often. It really annoys me when the airlines let people board with huge bags.<BR><BR>If Virgin is doing this, they are saving lots of time for passengers, and I applaud it.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 12:11 PM
JC

I fly internationally ALL the time and have never encountered this problem. Then again, I've always traveled on American carriers, which I believe are more reasonable about carry-on weight restrictions. Hurray for common sense.<BR><BR>No, my bag was not grossly heavy, and, no, carrying on my one bag would not have slowed passengers like Ann down. I, too, get annoyed with people travelling with 5 carry-on bags, but I only had one small piece of baggage which, unfortunately, was a few kg over the limit. By the way, Virgin still took off late since they screwed up collecting some passengers' boarding passes and had to make sure they were all on board.<BR><BR>For the record, I flew Virgin by mistake -- I was booked on the flight as a Continental passenger. Continental did not warn me that Virgin's carry-on restrictions were different from theirs. Yes, yes, I should have specifically asked Continental about Virgin's baggage policy before leaving on my trip. I certainly would have packed differently. I foolishly assumed that a Virgin flight that was a codeshare with Continental would have the same policies. Live and learn.