Vineyards in Tuscany

Sep 24th, 1998, 12:03 PM
Bennett

Vineyards in Tuscany

Let me try this again...
I am looking for some information on vineyards in Tuscany. I will be traveling in Italy during the first two weeks of October. Any suggestions? A few years ago I visited the Banfi winery, but the tour was through an arrangement with my hotel. What is the best way to go about planning such an excursion. Do I need to make reservations?

Sep 24th, 1998, 04:15 PM
kam

Not very many wineries have tasting rooms as we do in the States. There is however, the enoteca system, where wine of the local wineries can be tasted. These are in wine towns throughout Tuscany. One very good city is Montepulciano and another Montacino--both down near Siena. Alternatively, the most open of the wineries are found on the "Chianti Wine Route" closer to Florence. Upon arrival in Tuscany, go to the Tourist info office and look for wine information. Some will say, tastings by appointment only, and then you use your concierge to make the appt. unless you speak pretty good Italian.There are also books available here in the U.S. which follow the various Italian wine routes. Please note that small tasting rooms really look for you to buy a bottle to take away. In Siena there's a wonderful enoteca---called the Antica Enoteca in the Medici castle. It has a wine display from all areas of Italy and wonderful tastings. Enjoy and go Hoyas!

Sep 25th, 1998, 11:22 AM
RJD

Oz Clarke has a new book on wine routes in Tuscany. I have a copy and it looks good for finding vineyards and wine tasting shops. There's also an excellent but now out of print book "The Wine Roads of Italy." I tore it up to take the Tuscany part on a trip where it proved invaluable. Left the torn out pages there. Unfortunatly, I now can't get another copy.

Sep 25th, 1998, 04:35 PM
Tom Townsend

Ah, someone who has a yearn for the grape ! Listen closely and one who knows will tell. 1st of unlike the U.S. you will have to call and make a reservation. But, I will fill you in on some details, if you are interested, e-mail me and let me know you are sincere and I will provide you with name and number to call.
The highlight of our trip to Florence two weeks ago was the trip to Greve-in-Chianti. And the touring of the Venzzano Castle and Winery. Made by appointment, our party of four and one other couple were taken on a private tour of the grounds, the winery, and thenhad lunch, and sampled some very excelent wines, and grappo. The sighs were great. I have some awesome pictures too.

Sep 29th, 1998, 10:54 PM
Steve the Guide

A very good site regarding Chianti Area with a lot of informations is: http://www.monterinaldi.it/en/