Vineyards in France

Old May 1st, 2000, 12:56 PM
Hall T. McGee

Vineyards in France

I am looking for a good way to fill 3 days and 3 nights in early June between leaving one group of friends in Cannes and meeting others in Munich. I thought that it would be nice to spend this time touring some French vineyards, but I really don't know where to begin.

I ordered the Access book "France: The Wine Country," but I was hoping to get some personal opinions.

I'm particularly curious about interesting places to stay that would have easy access to good vineyards.

Thanks a lot!
-Hall McGee

Old May 1st, 2000, 01:17 PM
Patrick

We stayed in Colmar, just outside the route du vin near the German border...there is a road through the vinyards were you can get tastings at all kinds of vinyards...Also look for the vinyards that make the plum brandy it's fantastic! An excellent bike trip from colmar if you are up to it.

Good luck

Old May 1st, 2000, 02:15 PM
Rex

I'm not trying to start a debate on French wines versus Italian (I'd come down on the side of French most of the time), but there are no "great" wine regions in France between Cannes and Munich - - in fact, there is hardly any of France at all between Cannes and Munich.

But there is the Piemonte and the area around Trento, just south of the BrennerPass (takes you into Austria, at about Innsbruck) - - from there you are scarcely two hours from Munich.

I have never seen such a enormous percentage of land planted in vineyards as exist in this region. I can't tell you that any are "famous" - - but the wines from northern Italy take a back seat to no wines anywhere.

Old May 2nd, 2000, 09:09 AM
marc

I agree, Piemonte would be great but if you want to stay in France I think Colmar in Alsace would be way out of the way. Head west from Cannes to Provence and visit Bandol, the finest appelation on the Mediterranean. Then go north a bit and explore the rest of Provence and the Southern Rhone Valley around Avignon and Chataneuf de Pape.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Jeremy Feldman

Actually, there are quite a lot of "famous" wines from the Piedmont region of Italy. Their Barolo and Barbarescu reds are some of the most sought after in the world.