Reload this Page >

Villas in Tuscany

Search

Villas in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 03:45 PM
Paul

Villas in Tuscany

Seeking a classic villa in Tuscany for a 3 week period next year. There are SO many to choose from on the internet that I would like some personal reviews from this forum. Would like to be near some nice towns but away from main tourist areas. Will need at least 3 bedrooms. Thank you. Price range can be up to $1,800 - $2,000 per week .

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 08:58 AM
jeff

try this, we loved it: <BR> <BR>http://www.italiareservations.com/ <BR> <BR>These three places are the BEST. Our one week stay in La Pietra was an absolute delight. Very clean and well appointed, yet quite "authentic"---not that I'd know... <BR> <BR>Way up a mountain road (2000feet elevation) with spectacular views. In fact I spent one entire day just lounging in the yard over looking the valley and watching it change colors--with a little wine and cheese, how can you top that for recreation. <BR> <BR>Private, but within a short drive to Mercatale or Umbertide for market shopping. And within one hour of Perugia, Cortona, Gubbio, Assisi, and many other hill towns in Tuscany and Umbria. <BR> <BR>One of the advantages of this location is it's on the border of both provinces, but we trained into Florence on a day trip without trouble, too. <BR> <BR>Local restaurants were great--especially Mimi's in Mercatale and Oscari in Santa Maria Tibertini. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:31 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Paul, Shopping for the RIGHT Tuscany can <BR>be very frustrating---I have done it <BR>several times for me and my clients. <BR>My advise is to narrow down based on the <BR>3 critcal criteria--LOCATION, PRICE, AND <BR>AMENITIES. You have the price defined <BR>but location is the real key. You need to decide an area of Tuscany to use as <BR>a base camp. That can be tough since it <BR>will effectively exclude some towns. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you need some help in <BR>deciding the best location--it can be a <BR>very personal choice. I prefer the areas either south of Siena or just NW <BR>of Siena. I feel the Cortona area is great for parts of Umbria but not the best for most of Tuscany. Frankly, given 3 weeks I would do 2 locations. <BR> <BR>I have counted more than 1200 choices in <BR>the various catalogs and web sites. That can be too much to fathom, so you <BR>need to narrow down by specifics. <BR>Holler if you need help.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:03 PM
mustangs81

Hi Bob, Can I sneak in here, perhaps my question will be of help to Paul. <BR> <BR>You are correct, it is overwhelming with so many choices. After much deliberation, I came across tuscanhouse.com recommended in Bon Appetite magazine and contacted them. I am very delighted with the price but of course we won't know the value until November when we arrive. My daughter is getting married in Florence and I thought that a villa for both families would be convenient. <BR> <BR>The question is...do you have any experience with Tuscan House? And do you have any thoughts on the location of the villa that I selected which is described as follows: <BR>San Francesco is located on a hill surrounded by beautiful countryside 2km outside the village of Palazzone in southern Tuscany. The location is excellent for touring in central Italy; you can easily make day trips to Siena, Florence, San Gimingano, Assisi and Rome. An Autostrada exit is only a 10 minutes drive away. <BR> <BR>You are always such a help. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 02:50 PM
Paul

Thanks to everyone for the replies. <BR> <BR>Mustangs81: tuscanhouse.com is quite a nice website with a wide array of choices. I would certainly be interested in anyone's personal experience with this organization. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 05:01 PM
mustangs81

Paul, I did feel good about the article in Bon Appetite that mentioned it. The writer had gotten her villa through Tuscan House. Thus far they have been accommodating. I did a search of this site but didn't come up with anything on Tuscan House or on the villa I selected. Actually I didn't select it, I contacted Zak at Tuscan House and he negotiated for me and found villa San Francesco.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 10:47 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hey gang, I do not have any personal <BR>experience with that agency, I usually <BR>use Parker or initaly.com. As for that <BR>location, I feel it is too far south to be ideal. I would prefer closer to Siena. I am sure the setting is lovely <BR>but just too far to the primary Tuscan <BR>locations---hence the good price. <BR>I would prefer 30 miles north of there <BR>near Montepulciano, Sinalunga, Montalcino, Bagno Vignoni, and Siena. <BR>Tuscany is all good, just a question of <BR>driving time to the best venues. <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Paul

I second Bob the N's suggestions. I've used Parker 3 years in a row. Great service, easy to deal with. Plus their web site shows current availability, which is a plus.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 12:39 PM
stephanie

Is Parker and initaly the same company or does Parker have a specific web site I should check out. <BR>I am in the same quandry, trying to figure out where to go. I originally was working with overseas connections however they have no interest in renting a place for a week.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:34 PM
mustangs81

So...Bob, would it be terribly rude if I asked for my deposit to be applied to another villa? I am sure there are options closer to the area you mentioned.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:53 AM
Paul

Stephanie - Parker is a separate company from Initaly, and each has their own web site: <BR> <BR>Parker - www.theparkercompany.com <BR>Initaly - www.initaly.com

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 06:39 PM
Lee

We spent a week a few months ago at a wondeful villa near Radda in Chianti. It was a four bedroom, three bathroom house that was built over in 1995. Very comfortable with a huge kitchen. Location was perfect as it was 35 miles north of Siena, near all the quaint towns of the Chianti Region in Tuscany. The website for the villa, called La Fontanela, is http://www.tuscanenterprise.it/fontanel.htm. <BR> <BR>Check it out. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 10:32 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Please do not get me in the middle of <BR>a contract question. Ask your vendor <BR>about their policy and what options they may have for you. I do not mean to be a spoil sport, but I do think you would be happier further north.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:03 PM
mustangs81

My most humble apologies Bob, it was rather rude of me. I am aware of the cancellation policy as stated in my contract with the property manager and should have stated so. My question was from a social perspective, not a solicitation for a contractual opinion. Thank you for your geographical opinion.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 08:14 PM
amy

Has anyone here ever booked through www.tuscany.net? Their website is great, but have found no one with firsthand experience. Would greatly appreciate any insight. <BR>

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 03:35 AM
Mike

Everyone: I've been reading along, terrific information. I have one additional questions to add -- and I admit I'm a neophyte traveler to Europe so please bear with me. Is it safe to drive in the areas discussed (i.e., Siena area)? Not have driven in Europe yet, I have some apprehension about committing to a Villa only find out the driving in the area is dangerous (however, I am used to driving in around NYC, DC, Boston - if that experience helps). Sorry to interrupt the thread, but thanks.

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:27 AM
topper

Old Aug 31st, 2000, 06:39 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

As for driving, it is alot like driving <BR>in the Napa valley or rural Vermont. <BR>Not a problem--just do not try the big <BR>cities.

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 07:14 PM
twalker

We had good luck with italianvillas.com <BR> <BR>IF you get to Montalcino, try to eat at Ristorante di Poggio Antico. Expensive -- but by far the best meal we had in our two weeks in Italy (which included rome, florence, siena, etc).

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:11 AM
topper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -