Village or countryside

Search

Village or countryside

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Village or countryside

We are trying to decide between renting a village house in Menerbes up at the top of the village versus a country house about 1 km from Murs. Both houses look great and have pools but never having stayed in the area before, I don't know the advantages of either setting. Any opinions would be much appreciated! We are travelling with 3 teenage daughters - Thanks!
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:23 AM

The only things I ever think about when deciding between a village house or a country house are 1) Do I mind driving to get my food supplies? 2) Do I want peace and quiet with no neighbors or can I deal with neighbors? 3) Is there a convenient place to park my car in the village and does it get crowded with tourists, making it a pain to get into and out of or to find a parking spot?
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Agree with all that FMT said. With teenage daughters, however, I would lean more towards top of village where they could walk to a shop, etc.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM

With teenage daughters, I'd opt for the village so they can go out in the evenings.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM

What time of year are you traveling?

I prefer staying in a village. You can walk to a restaurant and drink wine with your dinner, then walk back. Staying in the countryside means finding your way back, maybe in the dark on ill-signed roads. Somebody has to be the non-drinking designated driver.

And you can send your kids out to buy bread or whatever on their own. A town allows them a little more independence.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:44 AM

Use Google Earth to help in your desicion.
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 10:46 AM

A vacation means a vacation from cooking IMO so the village it would have to be. At the end of a touristy day, it is a luxury to be fed by someone else (who also cleans up).
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM

Menerbes is really small - and I don't remember many restaurants there (if any). Viamichelin does not list any (except a "super lux" Marie 1.8 K away - where we dined once - expensive). So I would not plan on "walking to dinner". However, Menerbes is in a great location.

Murs is a little more isolated. We stayed there once many moons ago. Since then, we've stayed for 4 weeks in the Luberon, and a total of 18 weeks in Provence.

There is a large Carrefour or LeClerc (don't recall which) slightly west of Apt (which is close to Menerbes) where you can purchase "already made" food items like roast chicken for dinner. Plus there are many morning farmer's markets in the region where you can purchase prepared food for lunch or dinner at the gite/house. Lots of restaurants near Menerbes within a 20 min drive.

I would pick the Menerbes place - but I would not place a high "weight" on a "village" location in Menerbes. It is pretty small and very high up on a hill. There is probably a place to get croissants/bread in the villge there - but that may be all the "eating" locations you will have within walking distance.

Do you have my 27 page Cote d'Azur & Provence itinerary? I've sent it to over 2,000 people on Fodors. If you would like a copy, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll attach one to the reply e-mail.

Stu Dudley