Search

Hampton Court

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hampton Court

Can anyone tell me how to get to Hampton Court on the train? Where can I find the schedule? Also, how can I take the boat back to London? Any restaurant recommendations?

Many thanks.
Old May 28th, 2004, 11:10 AM

You can get a direct train train from Waterloo Station, if London is your starting point, to Hampton Cout Station; they depart about every half hour.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:43 PM

not sure if this info is still current, and they may have a website if you search for one

The Westminster Passenger Association phone 207 930 4721
offers riverboat service from Westminster Bridge to Kew, Richmond, and Hampton Court. The trip is available from approximately Easter through October. Trip time varies: about 90 minutes to Kew, 2.5-4 hours to Hampton Court. From May to Sept evening cruises are also offered.
Old May 28th, 2004, 12:44 PM

found the website

http://www.wpsa.co.uk/
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks!
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:14 PM

If you do decide on a river trip, it would be better if you took the train TO Hampton Court, and the boat BACK.

reason being: The Thames current makes the trip UP river as much as an hour longer than the trip back DOWN river.

So hop on the train at Waterloo and then when you are done w/ touring the Palace/grounds -- decide if you have enough time and IF the weather is nice you can take the boat back. But if you are running late and need to get back to London quicker, take the train.
Old May 28th, 2004, 06:34 PM

The trip to Hampton Court Palace is a very easy train ride from Waterloo Station. There are frequent trains and you can check out the schedules at www.thetrainline.com.

The advice about taking the train there and the boat back is a good one. Take an early train to HC, take your time touring the palace, grounds, etc... and take the boat back to London. It will be a nice relaxing trip.

We made the mistake of thinking we could take see HC and then take the boat to Kew Gardens. By the time we got to Kew, the gardens were about to close. We ended up taking a wrong turn over Kew Bridge, had dinner at a pub with a transvestite and took the bus back into London.

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:47 AM

We just returned from London. As mentioned, trains leave frequently from Waterloo Station. If you go to the Travel Office at the station, a clerk will explain all the options and find you the best prices. If you go straight to a ticket-seller, you must know what sort of ticket you want; they do not dispense ticket advice.

We purchased one-day travel cards for £5.60 each (valid also on the tube and buses for the day) for round trip train travel to Hampton Court (less than a one-way train ticket).

I thought I had read somewhere that combo tickets were available for taking the train in one direction and the boat in the other, but this turned out not to be true.

With your travel pass, though, you receive a 25% discount on the boat trip back. (£9 rather than £12)

So, though we could have returned on the train at no additional cost, we purchased boat tickets.

The boat dock is a short walk from the palace gates.

Note that the first boat returning to London does not leave until 3PM, with another at 4PM, then 5PM. I believe there is also a 6PM departure after May 31st. There is no seating anywhere (other than on the grass) for waiting for the next boat.

Note also that the boats are small with nearly all seating area (an upper deck and a lower deck, both lined with side by side plastic chairs in rows) uncovered. The only covered seating area is the small snack bar area.

In the nice weather, this is a lovely "cruise" back to London. For us, though, it was a long three hour ride with a huge group of French students (behaving as normal adolescents would).

As for restaurants. There is a lovely tea room within the palace and a nice restaurant at the edge of the gardens. Both are very easy to find.

We opted to go across the street from the entrance, where there were several appealing options: A casual place with a prix fixe and a huge la carte menu with moderate prices; River's Edge Bar and Grill (spacious indoors, two huge riverside decks set with tables and chairs). Menu of salads, sandwiches, desserts (to my recollection, everything was under £10). You place your order at the bar and it is delivered to you. We opted to have lunch upstairs, where there is a more formal dining area with a very appealing gourmet menu. £15.50 for 2 courses, £18.50 for 3 courses. The food was outstanding (and portions so generous we had only 2 courses). This is a very elegant (and quiet) restaurant with fabulous service.