Villa Steno/Villa Argentina ?

May 26th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Villa Steno/Villa Argentina ?

We plan to spend 2 nights in Cinque Terre and Porta Roca has a 3 night minimum. We're trying to find an accomodation that has a wonderful view and charm from which to explore the area. (I'm not comfortable arriving without a reservation.)Has anyone stayed at either of these places? Are does anyone have another suggestion?
May 26th, 2004, 03:33 PM

villa steno is quaint. we were there in oct. and we took the last room they had and it had a really great view, but was really supposed to be a single so i cannot tell you what their doubles are like. i think we paid 120E. breakfast was good and the owner is really nice. he helped with lodging at our next stop. if we were to go again to the cinque terre though i think we would try to get an apt. in one of the other towns. we ran into acquaintances that were approached on the street and took one after checking it out. it was huge and spacious (no view) in manarola for 80E a night.
May 26th, 2004, 04:10 PM

If you are referring to Villa Argentina in Riomaggiore, we stayed in one of their double rooms 2 or 3 years ago. Our room didn't have much of a view nor would I say it had a whole lot of charm. It was just OK, small, clean, standard 2 star hotel room decor.

I think the hotel probably does have some rooms with nice views as it's on the top of the hill but ours didn't. I do remember them having a pretty good breakfast though.
May 26th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like we may want to stay in one of the smaller villages. Have you heard anything about Ca dei Duxi in Riomaggiore?
May 29th, 2004, 03:31 AM

Since my (ex) fiance owns the Villa Argentina, I can't help but put in a plug for the place. By all means you can get a seaview room that overlooks the town below and the shimmering Mediterranean Sea. In addition, there is a large terrace area that is open, with flower trellises covering the roof and sides. It is very comfortable to sip some limoncello and much on biscotti out there mid-afternoon or under the starlight at night. The view rooms were not much $, compared to the Porta Roca and some the of the pricier accommodations in Monterosso al Mare. In addition, the breakfast at Villa Argentina is very ample and not "typical" Italian as yogurt, granola cereal, fresh fruit, cheeses, breads, pastries are served, in addition to coffee, tea, hot chocolate, etc. If you end up staying in Riomaggiore, eat at "La Grotta" on the main road, at the base of the town. It serves some of the freshest fish dishes around, not to mention fabulous pesto creations with pasta!
May 29th, 2004, 03:51 AM

P.S. I also forgot to mention that the Villa Argentina has several properties that can be retned out all around town, up in the hills, down by the water, etc. If you are interested in staying elsewhere besides the Villa Argentina, fax them an inquiry about the availability in their "apts." There is a fabulous "Villa Rosa" (large 2 story house with 3 bedrooms, large bathroom, formal livingroom w/ TV, dining room w/ chandelier & china cabinets, full kitchen, etc) that is perfectly suited for a family of 4 or 6 and priced around 200 euros a night. The ocean views from the bedroom windows and terrace and garden (below) are simply breathtaking.

Likewise, they have a cute little "cabin" place that is located up in the hills, as you start up the mountainside for the trails...it is very rustic, but has 1 bedroom, livingroom w/ TV, kitchen, and bathroom and would suit a couple or even family of 4 just fine (the couch in the livingroom doubles as a bed at night). Riomaggiore is my obvious favorite among the 5 CT towns - Vernazza is very touristy and the prices there are higher than in the other 4 towns so I just pop over there for a gelato and quick "passegiata" by their tiny harbor after dinner but would not stay there as the place is teeming with tourists. Manarola is another favorite - eat at Il Porticello, about 50 yards from the harbor (on your R side as you are walking towards the harbor), they serve a delicious seafood risotto, not to mention their fabulous fried seafood platters, and seafood salads of the freshest fish around. Great prices and wonderful food!

Search this Thread