Villa Rosa, Miramare or Posa Posa?

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Villa Rosa, Miramare or Posa Posa?

My family of four (two boys ages 11 and 8) will be travling to Italy this June. We will all be visiting Positano for the first time (we are staying three nights). I wanted to stay at the Poseidon, but at 606 Euros for the four of us a night, it was a bit out of our price range. I have e-mailed several properties and have heard back from the three properties mentioned above.

Please give me your personal experiences at these hotels. I am not familiar with them at all.

The rates I have been quoted are:

1. Villa Rosa: 270 Euros per night for family flat

2. Miramare: 400 Euros per nights for family flat

3. Posa Posa: 342 Euros per night for quad room

Grazi! Kimi G
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Villa Rosa has 87 steps from the street to the door, but the views are great. Have you checked Buca di Bacco right on the beach?
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:52 AM

We loved the Villa Rosa; cannot imagine more spectacular views of both sea and mountains. Lotsa step up from street, but that should not be a problem for your boys.
Enjoy Positano!
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:13 PM

I stayed in an apartment near Posa Posa and it was so beautiful to look at at night, all lit up with dreamy music playing in the lobby area.

I like their web site, you can click on the photo and choose which room you want.

http://www.hotelposaposa.com/home_en.html
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 02:31 PM

Miramare was very very nice - not THE most spectacular place ever, but very very nice. It is well located - not far from the beach and shops and restaurants. The staff was friendly and accomodating...helping us with dinner reservations and such. The breakfast were fresh fruit, coldcuts, cheeses, cereals, bread served in a dining room with a spectacular view of the ocean.
We stayed in an annex room - which was a bit cheaper than the main building - but not as nice. We had a spectacular view from our balcony though.

I would say the #1 thing about Miramare was the free boatride on the "O sol o Mio" included in the price of our room. This was one of the hilights of our trip! A small sailboat - piloted by an old Italian man who spoke no english. He sailed along the coast, and then out to an island in the sea. He provided us snorkel gear - and let us swim around a bit. On the way back into the boat he hosed us down - and then provided us with wine and a bowl of fresh fruit!! So we sipped wine and ate peaches while lying in the sun looking at the most fantastic scenery. I have to say it was one of the most romantic moments of my life so far!!

Old Feb 6th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your input! I have also just received a quote from Albergo California for 275 Euros for their quad ocean front room. What do you think?
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 09:20 AM

That is very tempting---I would do it.
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM

We stayed at the Posa Posa in 2004 just loved it.

We were a group of five couples, and all our rooms were very nice and roomy, and we had balconies with those fabulous views.

We had room 505. You can look at it on the website.

Angelo was very helpful as we planned our trip and especially after we arrived.

Among the hotels that we have used in Europe, the Posa Posa is one of our favrites.

Byrd
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Byrd - did you like the location of the Posa Posa?

Thank you to each of you for your input!
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM

Re: the 87 steps to the reception at Villa Rosa - last June when we stayed there we were told that the reception when we return this June would be on street level. They seemed to be working on this when we were there. Also, all of Positano is up and down steps. So what? If you can't climb a few steps go somewhere else...
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:15 PM

We loved Villa Rosa last September. Albergo California is right next door and looked nice too but I think the balcony off the family flat at VR is much bigger. They are killer steps though.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM

We stayed at Villa Rosa last spring and loved it. I don't know where the family rooms are, but if you can (and don't mind the stairs), ask for a room on the higher floors for the best view. One thing VR did not have was a pool, if you are looking for something like that for your boys.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:09 PM

In the Ask T&L section of March Travel and Leisure, Villa Rosa gets a nice recommendation. Also Villa Lara and Al Borgo Torello.

www.villalara.it
www.alborgotorello.com
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Steviegene, that boat trip sounds just too wonderful!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM

villalara is at the back of Amalfi and the albergotorello is in torello, near Ravello.

is the quad at hotel California two rooms or all the beds in one room?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Kimi,
Please let us know what you ended up with and how it was! Am curious about the same hotels for our family of 4.

hope you have a great trip!
dina
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

We decided upon the Miramare and absolutely loved it! I am currently updating our trip report each day - Amazing Family Trip to Italy (check it out and let me know what you think). We used the two bedroom flat. The little flat was very clean and comfortable, the terrace was SPECTACULAR, Rosita took very good care of us and the location could not be better. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. We didn't want to leave and are already hoping we can return someday! Enjoy!