Reload this Page >

View of Florence

Search

View of Florence

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 02:53 PM
William

View of Florence

What are some good places to get a scenic view of all of Florence?

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:03 PM
MIKE

GO TO PIAZZA MICHAELANGELO ABOVE FLORENCE FOR "POSTCARD" VIEWS

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:08 PM
uncle sam

You can also cross the Ponte Vechio, go about 100 or so yards and then turn left up the hill to the fort. There are great views from up there aswell.<BR><BR>US

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:53 PM
mike

One bridge downriver from the Ponte V. on the Oltrana side and take a pic. upriver. M. Ou...

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Sandra

There's a lovely outdoor cafe in the Boboli Gardens with a fabulous view! Better in the morning than the afternoon, as it faces west.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Howard

Climb to the top of the Duomo. There are 463 steps, but it's worth the effort!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Rex

From the front entrance - - or dinner on the balcony/patio dining room - - at Villa San Michele in nearby Fiesole.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Nutella

Howard, having just made the trek up the duomo for the first time, I agree that the view is amazing. However I have to laugh about this. I had told someone that the best view of Florence is from the duomo, and they answered &quot;But you don't see the duomo!&quot; : )

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 05:58 AM
John G

Sandra is correct when she states the most spectacular view of all of Florence is from the Kaffee Haus in the Boboli Gardens. This view encapsulates all of Florence and the mountains beyond it.<BR><BR>The views from Piazzale Michaelangelo offer a more intimate picture of Florence. This can also be said of the views from Forte Belvadere.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Jim Tardio

All good suggestions. I have some photos of the view from the Piazzale Michaelangelo, and also from the top of the Duomo, and the Belltower next to the Duomo. I climbed them both back to back, then had a seat below and had 3 beers to recover.<BR><BR>Here's the link: http://www.jimtardio.com/florence,italy.html

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Fred

Don't turn around at the Piazzale Michelangelo. Head a little further up the hill to San Miniato al Monte for more panoramas from an extraordinarily inspirational church.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Kathleen

Definitely include San Miniato al Monte with your walk to the Pza Michelangelo. Also try the bar/restaurant in the Uffizi for wonderful views in town. I believe that the Kaffe Haus and Fort Belvedere are closed at the moment but you can still find lovely views from the Boboli Gradens.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Joe

Nutella: Your friend is right. I've done both, but the view from the bell tower is better because you can see the Duomo. The view of Florence from Fort Belvedere is spectacular. Not so distant as the view from Fiesole. It is an interesting walk up to the fort as well. Some old villas with placards on the front wall indicating historical occupants you will know.