Search

Vienna Winter Itinerary & Day trip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna Winter Itinerary & Day trip Suggestions

Hello Fodorites

I am looking for itinerary help and suggestions for possible day trip from Vienna in December. We are in Vienna for 4.5 days from 15th to 19th of December 3 adults 2 kids 9&11. Current Itinerary looks like this:
15th Sat - arrive from Prague via Train 1.30pm Check-in to accomodation near the Judenplatz. - Self Guided walk tour and Christmas Market at Rathausplatz
16th Sun - Morning - Schonbrunn Palace / Afternoon - Kunsthistorisches / Evening Christmas Markets at Karlsplatz
17th Mon - Morning - St Stephens Cathedral and exploring / Afternoon - Spittleberg area and markets / Evening - Opera
18th Tues - Possible Day trip Looking at Salzburg (or better to do from Seefeld ???), Melk, Sopron, Budapest, or Other
19th Wed - Morning - Spanish Riding School morning exercise / Afternoon - Hofburg Palace & Butterfly Arboreum / Evening - No Plans
20th Thur - Depart for Seefeld for Christmas

Any suggestions for the Tuesday either as a daytrip or must sees in Vienna. Please and Thankyou
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 03:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Without knowing your interests it is a little challenging to make specific suggestions or recommendations. As you'll be coming from Prague, however, you will know that daylight hours are short and that cobblestones can become very cold in December, and will either have packed well or have purchased necessary woolens in Prague.

In terms of logistics; and again, not knowing your particular interests, I can only offer these thoughts.

15 December. There is ice skating at the Wiener Christkindlmarkt (Rathausplatz) for those interested.

16 December. There is a Christmas market at Schönbrunn, too; it is best enjoyed at night when everything is sparkling. Could you switch the order of this day's itinerary? Also, you will pass through the Christmas market on Maria-Theresien Platz as you enter/leave the KHM. Unless you have a particular interest in arts and crafts (the Karlsplatz Adventmarkt), you can enjoy the market here rather than trekking to Karlsplatz.

17 December. The day seems a little lean on activities. Having already explored the Inner Stadt a bit on your arrival, visiting Stephansdom will not take the morning unless you are really, really, really into religious buildings; and truly, there is little in the immediate area beyond shopping. In addition, the Christmas market at Spittelberg does not open on weekdays until 1400; and doesn't really get going until the evening.

18 December. The morning exercises are low-key workouts, almost always without the famous jumping routines. Hofburg has the imperial apartment rooms, but if you have been to Schönbrunn these may underwhelm. There's also lots and lots and lots of dishes to look at in Hofburg, which may not exactly interest the children.

19 December. Vienna to Salzburg is one train; Seefeld to Salzburg is two trains. Could you change your itinerary and head to Salzburg for an overnight en route to Seefeld?

Just my €0,02. Happy Planning!
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Fourfortravel I really appreciate your response. Sorry I should have put the interests down it was an oversight. I am getting to the end of putting the finishing touches on our 6 week Europe trip and I have to admit I am getting a little cross eyed with all the planning.

Interests include history, architecture and art so museums, churches and castles are a must however what I personally love the most is just being part of a place and soaking up the ambience. The kids pretty much go with the flow though we can only subject them to so many museums so try to balance this out so we don't do all museums in one day.

The suggestion for changing Schobrunn to the afternoon is a great idea and we will do that. For Monday I will look at adding another museum in or possible head to Prater if it is worthwhile in winter for the kids. Thank you for the advice about the Spanish Riding school unfortunately this was one of the items when budget won out so we settled on the the morning exercise instead of the evening performance.

In hindsight I should have broken our trip to Seefeld with an overnight in Salzburg unfortunately due to the time of the year we booked our accommodation well in advance to avoid missing out and I can not change it. Though it seems it would be an easier trip to do from Vienna than Seefeld even though it would mean a full day.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 06:21 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Charnley, I understand museum overload! I can only subject DH to one or two museums on any given holiday.

More thoughts:
1. As for Prater in December, most of the rides are closed. The Riesenrad takes 30 minutes to complete a revolution; 30 minutes of sitting in the possible cold and/or wet is not everyone's idea of a good time. There is the (expensive) Madame Tussaud Wax Museum on the Prater grounds if that is your thing, but overall Prater would not be a good use of your time. If you do decide on the museum, though, the nearby restaurant Roller Coaster should be a hit with the children. Who doesn't love their burger being spun through the restaurant before being delivered to the table?
2. Mondays are notoriously the "Museum Closure" day. You may want to look at opening hours or perhaps rearrange the itinerary a little bit. Some lesser considered museums that might pique the children's interest include the "Weltmuseum," a crazy collection of stuff collected by the imperial family on their learning expeditions around the world. I have visited three times now and always find something interesting to look at. There might be a combo-ticket with KHM that can be used on separate days. If your children's interests lie in the area, Vienna has a pretty cool Tram Museum, too. Or, the Museum of Illusions; a nice break from art-heavy sightseeing (the museum is quite fun for all ages!) Finally, don't discount a visit to the Haus des Meers, Vienna's aquarium in a Flak Tower! Start at the top on the deck for a panorama of Vienna, then make your way down for the best experience.
3. If possible, secure your tickets to tour Schönbrunn online; you will avoid the lengthy queue and concomitant cranky moods.
4. I would still consider taking the day trip to Salzburg from Vienna. One train is simple; on a day trip you don't need possible missed connections or delayed trains.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 06:25 AM

Bratislava is just an hour by train and Budapest a few hours - I day tripped to Bratislava from Vienna and loved it - even in January. book your Prague-Vienna train in advance and to Salzburg and back too - check www.thretrainline.com for easy booking at lowest possible prices matching - for general info on trains also - www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com (this one erudite advice on booking trains at a discount.)

44travel lives in Vienna or area and has proven to be an absolute expert in his advice IME - great resource to tap.
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry for the late reply, Thank you so much fourfortravel and PalenQ for your excellent advice and yes I have read many of 44travels excellent reviews. It's definitely an advantage to have such a wealth of local expert advice. I have completely reworked our plans in light of the information received. The aquarium wasn't even on our radar but now is and will be a great addition for the kids. I had read that winter was not the best month to visit Prater (a perfect excuse to visit again in warmer weather) so have decided to leave out.
15th Sat - arrive from Prague via Train 1.30pm Check-in to accomodation near the Judenplatz. - Self Guided walk tour and Christmas Market at Rathausplatz
16th Sun - Morning - Kunsthistorisches / Afternoon/ evening -Schonbrunn Palace and Christmas Markets
17th Mon - Day Trip Salzburg
18th Tues - Morning - St Stephens Cathedral and Flak Tower & Aquarium / Late Afternoon - Spittleberg area and markets
19th Wed - Morning - Spanish Riding School morning exercise / Afternoon - Hofburg Palace & Butterfly Arboreum / Evening - Opera (tickets secured)
20th Thur - Depart for Seefeld for Christmas
We may also try to fit in the Natural History Museum as well depending on time and the kids tolerance levels.