Vienna to Budapest?

Search

Vienna to Budapest?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2013, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna to Budapest?

I am visiting Vienna in August and will be staying in the Inner Ring near the Cathedral. I am wondering the best way to get to Budapest from there. I assume it is a train, however, not sure which station and where to arrive in Budapest. There we are staying on the Pest side not far from the River. Any suggestions are appreciated. THANK YOU!!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 03:46 AM

It is very easy to travel from Wien Westbahnhof to Budapest Keleti. Lots of trains and good prices. Buses go from Keleti towards the River Duna. We did this trip in February and it was very enjoyable.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Susannah T nails it. If you have time and the desire, you might consider taking a boat down the Danube to Bratislava as part of a day trip and then continue to Budapest by train.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Hez

You can also go by boat from Viena to Budapest - http://www.mahartpassnave.hu/webset3...@32@@892816584 (assuming the water levels recede before August)
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Looking at the Danube right now out of my Budapest apartment river. Soon we will be fishing off our balcony!.... We just had a terrible downpour we certainly did not need!

Not sure where your hotel is, but from keleti, I often find it easiest to hop the red metro line (towards deli)... And exit at Deak.... Of course, we are big walkers and many of the central pest hotels are a lovely stroll from Deak.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I took a day tour from Vienna to Budapest in one of those 8-seater vans. Threw my luggage in the back of the van. When the tour was over, the guide parked near my hotel on the river (Marriott). I grabbed my bag and checked into the hotel while the others went off to lunch and shopping before retuning to Vienna.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 02:53 PM

Hope you are OK Centraleurope. Our apartment overlooked the river, so I expect the area is now flooded. All the best.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 08:11 PM

Thx Susannah... The lower road along the river is under water... Shoes on the Danube is under water...

But the city is actually fully functional... Festivals are still going on. We are on St. Istvan Park (the park is open and fine). Margit Island is just starting to flood. (And the island is closed).

But for anyone coming to Budapest now, still come. Pretty much everything is open for business. (Except, of course, Danube cruises).... And the business owners need the money.