Vienna - Site seeing help

Old May 2nd, 2016, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vienna - Site seeing help

Hi,
I will be in Vienna from 16th May 4 pm to 18th May 8 am and plan to use my limited time to do some site seeing. I will be staying close to the prater , Here is my plan

16th May
Train from Salzburg to Vienna ( arrive in Vienna by 12 pm )
4 pm :
Prater - giant wheel
Ringstrasse walk or tram ride
Live concert ( public concert in open area if possible )
Walk along the river side - which is a good area for walk ?

17th May :
Schonbrunn palace (4 hours )
Center of Vienna - covered via vienna walking tour about 2 hrs.
Any other thing to do ?

18th May :
Early morning leave for prague
Old May 3rd, 2016, 12:03 AM

For Schonbrunn, plan to get there in time for opening - that way you won't get caught up in the large volumes of visitors arriving on tours.

My other suggestion for 'don't miss' is the Hundertwasser building - just google 'Hundertwasser Vienna' and take a look at the images . . . quite phantagosmical, and completely unlike the traditional Baroque Vienna you see elsewhere. Di
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:06 AM

Belvedere Museum, if only for the famous Klimt.
The Augarten Park, if only for those menacing WWII bunker-like towers.
Palais Liechtenstein, if only for the interior.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks di2315 and Ton ,

I almost forgot Hundertwasser until you mentioned it , it shows up in google map as Hundertwasser Village, and it was on my mind, but forgot to add to the list.

I will see if I can accommodate the Palais Liechtenstein, I will skip the Museum and Park for this visit.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 05:30 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
16 May is a public holiday in Vienna. Expect holiday times for public transportation; and almost every store will be closed (grocery markets at major train stations and the airport being the exception). Check the individual sights of interest for holiday hours (Belvedere will be closed, but Schloss Schönbrunn will be open. I believe Prater will be open, as well. Palais Liechtenstein requires advance reservation for an individual tour; you can wander the garden on your own, but it is not impressive. The major art museum (KHM) will be closed, too.)

With Schönbrunn, you would do well to purchase your ticket online to avoid the long queues that form when tour busses and the HOHO disgorge.

Unless you really desire to waste €8 and 30 minutes on the Ringstraße tram, looking at video of the buildings you're passing (because tour busses block the view) and hearing some factually incorrect information on your headset, I would skip this activity. Your time would be better spent renting a City Bike (or walking) and doing the DIY tour on the wien.info website.

Walking along the Danube canal can be enjoyable if the evening is pleasant. Your starting point is near Schwedenplatz; there are bars and restaurants, though I would not rate the scenery all that remarkable. With your short time any walk along the Danube River would not be recommended, as you would have to leave Vienna in order to appreciate the river scenery.

Hope this helps in your planning.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

Great tips fourfortravel, Thank You.
Since I will be arriving in Vienna on 16th May after 1 pm, I wish to just get a hang of the city on that day. 17th May would be when I will visit the palace, and as suggested I will either buy the ticket online or be there up at 9 am for a less crowded visit of the palace.

I am planning to purchase a 48 Hrs Vienna train ticket which should cover the Ringstrasse, but I intend to do that on foot.

let me also investigate the DIY tour you suggested.
Old May 4th, 2016, 05:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
None of the Vienna transit passes (48 Hour included) cover the Ring Tram; that is a separate purchase.