Vienna or more Germany?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 11:44 AM
ellen

Vienna or more Germany?

I am spending 11 days in Germany late May via Frankfurt, renting a car for a week. Had planned to drive down the Romantic Road, stopping along the way to Garmisch. Wanted to stay a couple of days there, then drive to Munich, leaving car, visit Munich and then Salzburg. I am considering then going to Vienna - 5 hrs on train, spending 2-3 days there and then training back to Frankfurt. But it has been suggested to me that I should forget Vienna this trip and spend more time in Germany, such as along the Rhine River. Any suggestions?

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:29 PM
Art

There is SOOOO much in Germany. I would take the trip to Salzburg, but spend the rest of the time in Germany. I would save Vienna and Budapest for another trip.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:47 PM
Jon

Can someone confirm that Salzburg to Vienna is a 5 hour train? If I remember correctly, our transit was closer to 3 hours.
j.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:57 PM
Ann

I'd sure opt for more Germany, Ellen, but I'm biased. It's my favorite place in the world! There is so much to see and do outside the usual tourist stops (which shouldn't be missed, understand). The Lech river in Bavaria is spectacular, although it may be a bit milky in May (due to runoff, and as opposed to its usual green crystal appearance), and is "on the way" to Garmisch. The area around Bayreuth is peaceful and pastoral, with some spectacular churches; Regensburg on the Danube is great, and Dresden's reconstruction is awesome. Too much to choose from... I could just stay in the Bavarian mountains for the whole week...

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:48 PM
wes fowler

Jon,
You're quite right; it's three to three and a half hours by train (depending on the train) from Salzburg to Vienna. Munich to Vienna can encompass five hours.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:49 PM
Melissa

Eeeeehhh, although I love Germany way much more than Austria, I think you're doing OK by just spending a few days in Vienna. Or Salzburg--that's a very quaint city!

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 09:55 PM
Tangata

If you can do Vienna another time, then fine. But if this is your one chance don't miss Vienna!

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
Bob

Skip Vienna. Do more of Germany and Bavaria. I have been to Vienna three times: Twice on my own and last October with a cruise. The buildings are beautiful, but the area of Bavaria or the Rhine is much better. Given the choice of the two....no question: Germany.

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 01:03 AM
Paige

I love Vienna! The Rhine area is really nice, too. Would you rather spend that time in a big city with fabulous architecture, museums, palaces, etc, or in quiet, quaint, small towns?

Old Apr 4th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Jack

Have done both several times. Vienna is really a destination by itself. I'd do the Tyrol on to Salzburg and definitely see the Salzkommergut. The scenery is unforgetable, esp Bad Ischl and best of all Hallstadt for an overnight