Reload this Page >

Vienna, Munich & Salzburg in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Lee

My family (including a 10- and 15-year old) will fly to Vienna, spend a few days there and then visit Salzburg and Munich before flying out of Munich about days later. We'll rent a car. Any suggestions about how much time to allot in each city, other destinations that we shouldn't miss along the way, and accomodations?

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:14 PM
wes fowler

Lee,<BR>How many days later? Your note fails to say. What are your interests, your spouse's and your youngsters'? Knowing that helps in suggesting sights to see, things to do. Tell us more!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:36 PM
DeAnn

Loved Hotel Elefant in Salzburg. It has a great location and very nice staff.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:10 PM
bettyk

Lee, do a subject search on Austria and you will find lots of good info from previous posts. You can also do the same for Munich (search) or Germany. Maybe this will be of help in planning your trip.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Rex

Some of the best choices in all three places will depend on how much <BR>(any of) you speaks German - - like the Deutsches Museum in Munich, for example.<BR><BR>I personally like the Alte Pinakothek - - a great medium-sized art museum - - but might go over the head of a 10 year old.<BR><BR>I'd also recommend Dachau - - with the appropriate parental guidance and empathy for the possibility of upsetting your children substantially.<BR><BR>On a happier note, the hills above Salzburg are every bit as terrific as this wonderful little town itself. St. Wolfgang, for example - a superb cable car - - and check out numerous posts here on this forum about visiting a salt mine.<BR><BR>Another charming destination (bouncing back to Germany) is Landshut - - quite convenient to the Munich airport (about 20 miles further northeast.<BR><BR>Short answer to your "how many days" question? No less than 3-3-3, if possible.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Lee

Sorry! We'll be there for about 10 days. Looking for variety and some off-the-beaten path suggestions. Any ideas about what crowds are like in August? I always hear a mishmash of thoughts about traveling in August (everything's dead, overcrowded, hot, etc) but hoping we might avoid some of this. Many thanks!

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Bob Brown

Vienna, Salzburg, Munich. OOOH. You put one right in my wheelhouse!! Last summer we were in all 3, and the summer before we were in Salzburg and Vienna. It all depends on what you like. I could spend a long time in Vienna spending my son's inheritance on operas and concerts, and eating.<BR><BR>In Vienna, I think you could easily spend 4 full vigorous days there, but you need a sense of the history of the Hapsburg monarchy to really appreciate the imperial Vienna -- Sch&ouml;nbrunn Palace and the Hofburg. Das Haus der Musik is interesting, if not quite the blockbuster I anticipated. <BR><BR>Salzburg has its charm, and its attractions. Walking the streets of Salzburg is often rewarding because of the unexpected. I remember walking along when suddenly the unmistakeable strains of Rossini's La Gazza Ladra overture came from somewhere. I followed my ears to 3 young street musicians under an archway near the Residenz. One young man was playing a bass balalaika, one a mandolin, and the 3rd one had an accordian. They ran through those notes like it was programmed into their genes. (They had no music in front of them that I could see. I doubt if any exists for their arrangements anyhow.) I stood there a long time listening in admiration.<BR>(And yes I threw money in the hat.)<BR><BR>I see a lot on this forum about the obvious charms of Salzburg, but for my money the two standouts are Schloss Hellbrunn and the Marionetten Theater.<BR>That fortress up on the hill is interesting as are the various sites associated with Mozart. The churches are beautiful, too.<BR><BR>But beware the Sound of Money, er ah Music, tour. We took one and I thought it was the most egregious rip off this side of a Jessie James holdup. The only difference was that Jessie James was honest about what he was doing. These buggars were sneaky.<BR>After dozens of commercial messages about Mrs. Braun's strudel in Mondsee, we had no time for it. In fact, we had a choice, eat lunch, or see the church where Maria and the Captain got movie married. Then on the way back, we got regaled with recommendations of where to eat and drink. The longest stop was in St. Gilgen where the only reason I could discern was for us to go in stores and buy something. <BR><BR>And south of Salzburg, a trip that would take you all day, is a drive over the Gross Glockner Hochalpenstra&szlig;e. The scenery is awesome and the road is a real adventure. If you go to the view point at the Swarovski building, you will be amply rewarded not only with the views of the mountains and the longest glacier of the eastern Alps, but also a shop that sells some of the crystal.<BR><BR>Munich is a fun one. Great place to visit. Schloss Nymphenburg is a good place as is the Residenz of the Wittlesbach dynasty.<BR><BR>Out from town, the castles of the nutty Ludwig are worthwhile, as is the Wieskirche. It is a baroque masterpiece. Old Ludwig might have darn near bankrupted the kingdom to build his houses and put on his private showings of Wagnerian operas, but he sure knew where to build. Neuschwanstein is in a gorgeous setting. <BR><BR>And the Deutsches Museum is a masterpiece of technology. Go.<BR>There is some help in English. <BR><BR>I do suggest that you avoid Leopoldstra&szlig;e in Schwabing. There are far too many ice cream and sweet shops along there for it to be healthy, particularly in the area near where Gieselastra&szlig;e and Nicolaistra&szlig;e cross Leopoldstra&szlig;e.<BR>My hotel, the Astoria, was on Nicolaistra&szlig;e, and dangerously near one those sumptious Italian ice cream place. OHH the memories of that gargantuan treat linger still!! <BR><BR>By the way, the Astoria is a neat little hotel; great breakfast with a huge choice of cheeses, breads, cereal, and on and on and on.<BR>(By the way,for the literal minded, the comment about the ice cream is tongue in cheek. The stuff was delicious.)

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 05:59 PM

top<BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Tom

I did a trip almost identical to this once in August. I never understood what waws the big deal about traveling there in August. Not a problem in Alpine countries. We loved it. I have never been to any other destinations in August though. Maybe places like Spain or Italy are what gives it a bad name, if it is real hot.<BR>