Vienna - Melk or Salzburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be a better choice for a day trip and why. I am aware that Salzburg is alot further by train, but I don't mind a long sightseeing day, if the sights are worthwhile. Which is the better choice of the two places? Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:38 PM

They're different. I would choose the Wachau valley, which includes Melk. It would represent a break from the urban scene. Friends of mine went there and rented bikes to travel around the area for a day.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
This is a really difficult question to answer... if I had 2 or more days, I'd do both.

I absolutely loved Melk Abbey, it is one of the most beautiful places you will ever see! The town is cute. You can take the train there and then return via Durnstein by boat on the Danube and then to Krems by train and onto Vienna by train. Gorgeous! I did Melk as a day trip from Vienna.

Salzburg... I had expected a 'whipped cream wedding cake' town but I didn't find it as such. Yes, it is a charming town. But, for me, I found it's sites much, much more compelling than it's supposed 'cuteness'. I spent 4 or 5 nights in Salzburg.

It is a very difficult decision! Good luck!

How long will you be in Vienna? That may be a deciding factor.
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Much depends on your interests and also the time of year visited.
Train from Vienna to Melk and the Abbey takes about 1 1/2 hours. The town itself not that interesting but the Abbey is a most enjoyable visit. It was completely restored several years ago. It contains a fine library , beautiful views of the Danube and nice gardens.
However if you just do the Abbey - it makes for less best use of time.
It is best to combine the visit with a sightseeing cruise down the Danube to Dürnstein and/or krems the cruise passes numerous small villages, wine gardens, castle ruins - more sightseeing, visit to a winery perhaps and then back to Vienna by train.

This makes for a most varied and interesting day.

But the boats only run until the end of October .

Combination tickets available
see the following site

www.ddsg-blue-danube.at

Salzburg about 2 1/2 hours by frequent train service . Interesting sights year round.
Of course a city atmosphere-
Mozart sites over rated in my opinion . For Sound of Music enthusiasts a must see.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I should have mentioned in my op I will be in Vienna in November, so the Danube cruise and combi tickets are not an option.

I have 4 full days in Vienna and I plan on making a day trip on one of those days, probably to Melk.