Vienna for 4 days

May 4th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Racheal

Vienna for 4 days

My sister and I are traveling to Vienna for 4 days in May. We have never been overseas at all. Does anybody have any suggestions on what we should absolutely do and see and what we should avoid? We are also thinking about taking a day trip to Salzburg. Is this a good idea? Any help would be appreciated.

May 4th, 2000, 09:43 AM
s.fowler

A day trip to Salzburg is doable - it's 3-3 1/2 hrs each way and the trains run fairly often. But be sure you've taken in Schonbrun and Grinzing before you decide to do that

May 4th, 2000, 11:18 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Racheal
There are many things to visit in the
inner ring, such as Stephansdom, other
churches, the Imperial Vienna, the Graben and the Kartnerstrasse, The
Riding School, the town hall quarter
and many other places. Would suggest
you take a look at a copy of Eyewitness
Travel Guide "Vienna" Has a lot of
information. Don't miss Schonbrunn.
Wien has a very good transportation system, their street cars run all over
and all the way to Grinzing. There are
very good little ristorantes and cafes
In warmer weather the coffee houses on
the Kartnerstrasse have outside tables
and as well as the inside ones are ex-
cellant for people watching. If you
consider a trip to Salzburg too time
comsuming, check into a trip to the
abbey at Melk. This can be done on your
own or you can take a tour from Wien,
a short cruise thru the Wacha Valley
and to Melk for a lunch stop, after
going thru the abbey, returning to
Wien. Concerts and other entertainment
are nightly occurences, check with the
concierge at your hotels for information
on those events for the nights you will
be in Wien. Have a good tripl.
Richard of La Grange Park, IL...

May 4th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Kirsten

Richard had some excellent suggestions - you may want to start with a city bus tour that will take you many of these places (especially Schoenbruenn) and will help you get acquainted with the city. Vienna is pretty safe - the two of you should be fine.
Salzburg is nice, but doesn't have the nightlife of Vienna.
There is a place between Stefansdom and the Staatsoper that sells same day opera tickets - you must do that, even if you're not the biggest opera fan - it's an unforgettable experience! Make sure to have a piece of Sachertorte at the Hotel Sacher nearby.

May 4th, 2000, 07:04 PM
bo_jack

Since you have not been overseas at all, I recommend that you avoid the temptation to try to do too much. Salzburg is some distance away and, in my opinion, not worth the trip. I also think that the Sacher Torte experience and the Schonburn Palace are much overrated -- there are better pastries and better places to eat them, and the trip through the Schonburn is somewhat hurried and artificial. However, the Cultural History Museum (especially the 2nd floor) is well worth visiting, as are the Horse Show and the Opera. Probably the best experience -- and one of the cheapest -- if the weather is good is just to park yourself at a good cafe table, relax, and enjoy the moments. A boat ride is also a good, relaxing experience -- if you have the opportunity on an uncrowded day.

May 5th, 2000, 12:53 AM
s.fowler

I agree re: Sacher torte. The one they serve at the hotel itself is rather dry and unappealing. Have one at Demels or elsewhere.
Re Salzburg: as I noted it is doable, but it wouldn't be my choice. However 3 days is enough for the basics of Vienna, and if you think it will be a long time before you get back to the area... go for it. Which is my way of saying make the decision based on your own situation.
I'm sorry bo_jack feels that way about Schonbrun. Even if you can only go on a bus tour [which I did once and survived], it is an essential part of understanding the Austro-Hungarian empire. Plus it's beautiful. If you go on your own you'll have to wait in line BUT you can then roam the gardens, climb up to the Gloriette and take your time.
Also be sure to visit the Belvedere to see what's in hte galleries and to enjoy the view over Vienna. It's a longish walk from the center, but well worth it.

May 5th, 2000, 03:31 AM
Mary Ann

Hi Racheal
We were in Vienna last fall. We truly enjoyed our tour of Schoenbrun, it was a pretty day and the gardens were great. The tour gave alot of history of the palace and Austria. We also enjoyed the tour of the Opera house along with a Sacher Torte around the corner while waiting for our tour. The cafes are great.

May 5th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Christine

I also agree that Schonbrun should not be missed (though I was there in the off-season)-I strongly encourage you to read up a little on the Hapsburg dynasty and Maria-Theresa (and maybe watch Amadeus) before you go. I find the more I know about the history of a place the more enchanted I am with it. The gardens are beautiful, and as you have probably never seen a palace before I think you should definitely go.

We also went to the Statsoper (Opera) and saw a performance. I do recommend you go see some type of musical performance, though it won't be opera season while you're there.

We took a ride on the Ferris wheel-interesting, but don't go out of your way to do it.

Sacher Torte is okay at the Sacher Hotel (meant to be eaten with coffee), but I preferred the Central Cafe (I think that's the name of it). I lingered there for hours. The best things about Vienna are the cafes.

You're really going overseas for just 4-days? Keep in mind one of those days will probably be pretty be shot due to jet lag. You will want to search and read up on jet lag advice.

Happy travels.

May 5th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Heather

If you love old-fashioned candy stores, stop by Altmann & Kuhn's. It is the most wonderful handmade candy, and it comes in fabulous boxes that make great gifts. When I was in Vienna in November, we bought tickets to the opera, which was simply amazing. If you like heights, go up the elevator at St. Stephen's Cathedral, but be warned that you'll be walking on mesh flooring 300 feet in the air. I'd skip the tour of the Hofburg's Imperial Apartments ... we found it very disappointing for the money and our limited time (3 days) in the city. I loved Salzburg, but don't know if you want to spread your time that thin ... but, have a fantastic time whatever you do!