Reload this Page >

Vienna early December-Help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2000, 08:18 AM
Ty

My wife and I were considering taking advantage of some intoductory fares from Dallas to Vienna on Austria Air in early December. Similar option thru Lufthansa to Prague. We will be there a week. Interests include WWII history and earlier, Christmas markets, castles, and more liberal "adult" venues. Venturing off maybe to one other place during that week..possibly Krakow (auschwitz), Prague, or Munich (dachau). Not into churches, but the boys choir invokes interest. Also, anything closed at this time due to cold or weather? All suggestions appreciated. Thx in advance.

Old Nov 1st, 2000, 07:54 PM
zzzzzz

Answer, please?

Old Nov 2nd, 2000, 04:44 PM
zzz

???

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:38 AM
Heather

Last year, I was in Munich and Vienna before Christmas, but I have not been to Prague (next year, tho, so I would love to hear your trip report if you go). The Christmas market in Vienna was lovely. It's on the grounds of the Rathaus on the Ringstrausse (spell?). I thought Vienna was beautiful and loved walking the streets to see the architecture and ducking into the cafes for a rest and to warm up. Nothing was closed when we were there and the crowds were nonexistent (late November). <BR> <BR>If you aren't into churches, you might still enjoy a trip to St. Stephen's for the view from the tower (it has an elevator). There are carriage rides that originate near the church, as well. <BR> <BR>Also, we went to a performance at the Opera that was fabulous. We bought tickets the day-of and had loge seats with a perfect view. Although we didn't take the Opera tour, friends have given great reviews of their experiences. <BR> <BR>Also, I searched for the following post from a veteran of the Prague holiday markets: <BR> <BR>"Author: Helena ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 8/10/2000, 6:21 pm ET <BR> <BR>Message: Fred, I've had the pleasure of spending several Christmases in Prague, the most recent being 1999, and it's nice that time of year. The weather can get cold and damp, but the city is so beautiful that time of year. <BR> <BR>Shopping has really gotten better there, and you can get great deals on glass, porcelain, and all sorts of decorative gifts. <BR> <BR>Also make sure you get a close look at the giant tubs on street corners where Czechs buy their Christmas Carp (live). That's an old tradition and something I've never seen anywhere else. <BR> <BR>Go see Christmas concerts in the churches and concert halls, even if you're not a big classical music fan, you'll be in awe. <BR> <BR>Find a tour guide or hotel employee to explain the Czech Christmas traditions, it'll really add to the experience. Feel free to email me with questions." <BR> <BR>Ty, if this doesn't help, maybe it will get the ball rolling with more experienced Fodorites. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 26th, 2000, 07:19 PM
Linda

Ty, I will be in Vienna and Krakow early December. However, if I had not been to Prague, I would choose it or Budapest instead of Krakow (7 hour train ride). Both are closer and beautiful and worth your time. The Boy's Choir is having an Advent performance on the first 2 weekends of December (check nethotels.com as they have most events listed as well as numerous hotel options). From what I can find, if anything is closed, you will be too busy to notice.