video camera - too risky in Paris?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Diane

video camera - too risky in Paris?

I would love to bring my video camera with on my trip to Paris. I am concerned with the inconvenience of carring it around as well as the possibility of having it stolen. Any advice?

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Myriam

Diane, <BR>It can get stolen everywhere. Paris is no more risky than any other place in the world. You have to watch your valuables everywhere you go. Do bring it, for live memories afterwards.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Capo

Hi Diane. No guarantees it won't get stolen in Paris...or, as Diane alluded to, anywhere else. <BR> <BR>As far as the inconvenience of carrying it around, you'll have to consider that vis-a-vis the satisfaction it sounds like you'll get from using it. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:34 PM
JC

I'd also like to bring my video camera on our trip. Anyone has good / bad experiences with electric converters/adapters? <BR> <BR>During our three-week stay in Europe, we'd need to use a converter to plug our battery charger. Anyone recommends a specific product? <BR> <BR>I saw a Franzus all-in-one adapter plug for $18 at REI (http://www.rei.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce...rrfnbr=6077409). Any comments? <BR> <BR>THanks!! <BR> JC

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:06 PM
Art

I take my video cameria on every trip, including Greece, Hungary, The Czech Republic, Spain, Morroco, Portugal and France. Yes you look like a tourist and yes its a little inconvenient but IMO its worth it. I keep the strap across my chest so it would be more difficult to grab. I've used my converter to recharge the batteries in all of the above places. I have a converter with 6 types of plugs to fit any outlet in Europe. <BR>Regards <BR>Art <BR>

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:52 PM
mkrueg

A worse crime than getting your videocamera stolen in Paris is NOT taking photos or videos of the most picturesque city in the world! If there is any big risk after taking the necessary precautions, then it has to be worth the risk in Paris of all cities. No matter where I am travelling, I actually keep my videocamera in my purse - certainly less conspicuous.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Donna

I don't think bringing the video camera is any more risky than taking it anywhere else. But, if you prefer shots devoid of obstructions, you'll become very frustrated very quickly in Paris. Outdoor shots are difficult due to the trucks and buses. Indoors, well, you could wait all day to shoot the Winged Victory at the Louvre with no one in the way. Once I watched a fellow with a video camera spend a long, long time, not to achieve the footage he wanted of Monet's water lilies at L'Orangerie. Many travelers are not respectful or considerate enough to step aside when they see someone trying to get a shot. Others will actually deliberately walk in your path and stand there indefinitely. One really good way to get outdoor shots, though, is riding around atop L'Opentour, where you have a better vantage point from above.

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:51 PM
Francois Dubonet

Permit me to introduce myself. I'am an trained videographer residing near Chartes. If you have a large group I would be pleased to accompany your party on your travels and produce a video documentary for your friends at home.Merci

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:18 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Suit yourself, since it is your trip. But at some point, you may find it more worthwhile to ENJOY your trip, rather than take your time and energy attempting to DOCUMENT it. I would suggest still photos as a far less disruptive alternative -- but again, it's YOUR trip.

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:24 PM
StCirq

I'm really surprised at all the people who advocate bringing a videocamera to Paris. I can't imagine maneuvering around the city with one, and I'm sure it would peg me as a tourist, hence a potential theft target. I have never in the ten years I've owned a videocamera, brought one to Europe. I think I've seen too many tourists dealing with them - it seems like such a drawback to enjoying the actual vacation, and SUCH a draw for thieves! I guess if your life is video-driven, it's a good idea. My own life isn't - at all - so I may be no good source of info. We do just fine with photos, which we combine with ticket stubs and other paraphernalia into Trip Books that are ever so much fun to look at, as good as any video, maybe better because they are annotated.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 03:03 AM
Joel

When my wife and I had just gotten married our company transferred us to France for some years. Somebody gave us a videocamera, so we toted it all over France and a bunch of other countries as well as our 35mm. <BR>As time went on we took the videocamera with us less and less and used the 35mm more and more. After a year and a half we took neither on our weekend jaunts. <BR>Now, more than 10 years later, we never look at the videos and we very seldom look at the photos, albeit they're pretty good. Yet, having lived in France changed us permanently. It changed how we eat and what we eat, it changed how we view life, it gave us a somewhat different view of politeness, and it defined interior decoration in the manner of the great 20th Cen designers. <BR>In terms of memories, the v/c and 35mm are almost meaningless. They can't begin to compare to our recollections. So were I to do it all again, I would just take a 35mm or even a throw-away camera, and make sure I took an occasional shot to jog our memories later of the major items, say, a photo from the Aiguille du Midi to remind us of Chamonix. That way we'd be able to look at that one shot in 2001 and let our memories take over from there. <BR>I don't think that we have talked about our visits to the Louvre more than once since we returned 10 years ago. But we have discussed the cultural implications of buying avocados for dinner dozens of times. To me, that difference sums it all up!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:54 AM
Art

Jim, having my video camera has never lessened my enjoyment of my travels. No I don't use it everywhere and I also carry a 35mm Canon A1 with 3 lens. I simply take the time to shoot what I want to. I never have my eye glued to the lens as my video camera has its own screen built in so I can have waist high (or any other height) and still see what I'm shooting and in color. I know that I'm in the minority re video cameras but to each his/her own. I happen to enjoy viewing my films and transfer them to VCR tapes while adding commentary. I acquired a 60" HDTV wide screen about a year ago when my 13 yr old TV died and watching the videos is a real pleasure. <BR>Diane, have fun but do remember that it can get a little heavy.