Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Victoria Station to Gloucester tube stop...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:06 PM
mike

...how much will a cab cost? The Gatwick Express is 10GBP + whatever the cab is, v. 20GBP for taking a minivan from Gatwick right to my hotel (Chequers in Ken., next to Gloucester tube stop). Your thoughts? Thanks, M.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:47 PM
Kate

A cab will probably cost between £5 & £10 (depending on day/time of day). Or you can get the tube (District or Circle line from Victoria to Gloucester Road) for about £1.50. <BR> <BR>To be honest though, getting round London with luggage is a less than pleasant experience. It's worth getting a lift straight from the airport.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 02:36 PM
elvira

Unless you have just a small rolling suitcase or a backpack, and you know exactly where you are going, opt for the minivan instead of the train/taxi or train/underground. <BR> <BR>Kate's right - hauling around luggage after a long flight will make you cry. I'm familiar enough with the city that with a small suitcase, I use the train/underground; if I have a larger suitcase, I take the minivan. Sobbing openly puts people off.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 06:11 PM
sandy c

hi, <BR> <BR>mike, okay here's the breakdown; <BR> <BR>20pds-airport minivan <BR>25pds-gatwick express& cab to hotel <BR>12pds-gatwick express& metro to hotel <BR> <BR>in the end the express and cab will cost you the most, but saves the most time. but here's the deal, determining the way to go should always be based on how much luggage you have and how you feel. the cost difference is minimal when you figure the total amount of your trip. even using full metro from airport to hotel and return would only save you about 15-20 pds off the minivan or express/cab option. <BR> <BR>taking the minivan is the most convienent and the least taxing because it meets you right at the airport and drops you off at your hotel, however the draw back is that driving from gatwick thru morning rush hour traffic can take as much as 1-2 hours into central london. if the minivan is a shared one, (picking up more than one person in different hotels you may have to wait longer). however, if you have heavy or lots of luggage this to me is the only option. i had heavy luggage and the thought of hauling that thru london underground gives me nightmares. <BR> <BR>if you are traveling light, and i mean light, one piece of medium sized luggage per person, the gatwick express would get you to central london in about 20-30 minutes and a cab would take you to your hotel in 15-20 minutes. <BR> <BR>if you are really young and perky, you could try the express and metro, but i mean young and perky. i would never recommend this to anyone who has just traveled over 7 hours by jet and has anymore than 20 pds of luggage. why? because the london underground is spaced out. it is not as convienent as say the paris metro which is on just about every block. and the london underground seems to be spread out more, more stairs and longer walking tunnels. <BR> <BR>go by how you feel and how much luggage you are taking, and if you are traveling moderately light how much time you want to save. the minivan does not save time, only wear and tear. <BR> <BR>what is 20 pds out of your whole trip versu tired acky back and feet your 1st day there? splurge on this and just get a metro card for the in town travel when you don't have to worry about luggage. <BR> <BR>1 just got back from a trip with 4 or women. we spent about 25 pds a piece for gatwick private minivan from airport and return. <BR> <BR>when we left to go for 6 nights in paris (returning to london to fly out) we got a taxi to waterloo and the eurostar. a taxi from gard de nord in paris to hotel. we did this and the 2 taxi's returning to gard de nord and from waterloo back to hotel. the cost was 50 pds for the taxi's to and from waterloo and about 500 francs to and from gard de nord. this works out to be about $150 or $30 per person. it was well worth it. <BR> <BR>we could have saved about $24 per person by taking full metro but we would have had to walk 6 blocks with luggage to the metro station in london, changed 2 trainlines to waterloo and done it again on the return, and about the same on the paris end. we would have spent time and very much needed energy and would have been exhausted. i was grateful for the taxis and gladly spent the $24 extra. <BR> <BR>save that money on something else on the trip. <BR> <BR>hope this helps, <BR> <BR>sandy c

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 08:39 AM
mike

Thanks all for your input. I wish I were "young and perky." I arrive around 0900 and the hotel prefers a 1400 check in so I have plenty of time. And Sandy (and Kate and Elvira) is "spot on" re: comfort v. hassle related to pds. spent - so I'll let you know how the minivan works out. Now I only need to purchase the weekly Zone 1 tube pass and take in all the art (I'm an old and tired Studio Art major) that London has to offer. And most of that is free! Thanks again, M.

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 09:33 AM
Ben Haines

On weekdays at 0937 and hourly a train leaves Gatwick airport station and takes 40 minutes to West Brompton station. There you can cross to the District line platform and take a train (every ten minutes or more often) to Gloucester Road underground station. Or you can go upstairs to the street, and take a number 74 bus a mile to Gloucester Road. If your hotel is on Gloucester Road itself then you can quit the bus 100 yards or so from your hotel. <BR> <BR>The fare to Gloucester Road by train and tube is a little less than that on the Gatwick express to Victoria. The fare on the bus is a pound: luggage goes free. <BR> <BR>Bought at Gatwick or Gloucester Road a two zone one week pass for tube, bus and rail is about 17 pounds. You need a passport photo. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2001, 09:03 AM
mike

Thanks Ben. M.