Search

Vets near Cherbourg port

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vets near Cherbourg port

Hi,
I am visiting France in July and will be bringing my dog with me (from Ireland via the ferry). I have a passport for her and I don't expect any problems from the Irish port but I understand I must visit a vet on the way back (within 24hrs of travel) from Cherbourg to get her tested for tapeworm and ?ticks?, and then they issue a cert which you must have before you board the ferry. My problem is I don't have any names of (preferably English speaking) vets near the port of Cherbourg. The ferry company has no lists of nearby vets; neither does the Irish dept. of Agriculture. Has anyone travelled via Cherbourg with a pet and if so, could they recommend a vet for me?
Thanks very much.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM

If the rules are the same as the UK ones, you need to have her seen no more than 48 and no less than 24 hours before. So you can go to a vet anywhere within a couple of hundred miles.

Lists at:
http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/pe...ontact-details
Or:
http://www.france-entreprises.fr/man...terinaires.htm

Our experience, FWIW, is that all of them near a port have adequate English - and that they know the UK rules better than we do.
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks flanneruk for the information. We're not travelling with Brittany ferries but I've just checked out your link and see they offer alot more information on this issue than either Irish ferries or the Irish dept. of Agriculture! Thanks. Hopefully I can check out one of these vets and set up an appt. before I even make the journey. I am quite nervous about bringing her on this long trip but plan to spend three weeks in France so I would like to bring her with me.. Any other advice on travelling with dogs to France?
Best wishes
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:16 PM

It is essential that you get the timing right on the vet's visit. Slightly out and the ferry company will refuse to carry you.
Also make sure the chip is still easy to find before you leave home to save them searching for ages. Some dogs don't like having the chip reader waved over them by a stranger, so if you know where it is positioned the quicker it can be read.
The vet will fill in a page in the European passport with the date and time of the treatment. They basically give the dog a de-worming tablet and a dose of Frontline or similar, nothing dramatic!
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij. I will get my own vet to check the chip before we go. It looks like I need to plan the French vet in advance so I don't mistime things and get stranded in Cherbourg!
Thanks