Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to find out what's playing at the Opera & orchesta in Barcelona, Bilbao & Madrid.

Search

How to find out what's playing at the Opera & orchesta in Barcelona, Bilbao & Madrid.

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to find a web site that lists perfomances for next fall for the Opera & orchestra in Barcelona, Bilbao & Madrid.
Has anyone here ever attended a perfomance & how did you find out what was playing & did you get your tickets before you left for your trip?
I e mailed our hotel in Madrid & asked this question thinking that they could get me tickets for the opera, but all they told me was to go to the opera house when we are there & we could buy them ourselves.
Not sure if I want to take a chance to see if there are any tickets left.
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:52 PM

We went to a performance at the Palau de Música in Barcelona last month, having read what was playing online. (Chamber orchestra, chorus, soprano and tenor) It was great! I definitely recommend it; the building alone was worth going for.

I tried to buy tickets online, but wasn't able to get it to work. Maybe you'll be luckier, if this is what you're looking for:
www.palaumusica.org/

I don't think they have listings yet for the 2004-2005 season.

And here's a website for the opera in Madrid:

usuarios.lycos.es/madridoperain
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:01 PM

I just used the web site for Teatro Real in Madrid to see what the programs were. I didn't buy any for my stay because they weren't performing anything during my particular stay dates. However, I know they have a button at the bottom for buying tickets, so assume you can. It's labeled "venta en internet". I know enough Spanish to do that, though, I'm not sure if they have an English section if that's a problem.
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:02 PM

oh I forgot, here's the web site:

http://www.teatro-real.com/
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

To Christina & Marcy,
thanks for your answers. I tried the teatro-real web site & I got somewhat of an idea, although I couldn't seem to get all the information that I wanted. And forget trying to buy tickets on this site, never got to the form.
We won't be in Spain until Oct., so I thought that perhaps I could write & get a brochure. Has anyone tried this?
Am disappointed that the web sites aren't in English & even more disappointed that my Spanish is non existant. I can see that my smattering of French is not going to help me on this trip.
Has anyone else bought tickets ahead of time? And anyone attend a concert in Bilbao?
Old Jun 5th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Travelegs, it is too bad you can't use the site as it has all information and you can purchase. I just went through the entire section for buying a ticket with no problem -- I just bailed at the last second when I had to put in a credit card number. However, they give you lists of performances, available seat sections and prices, and then walks you through the purchase process. They even give you a good seating chart and let you pick exact seats, if you want. They accept VISA and MC online. The do have a qualification that you can only buy two tickets. Probably because I was a new user, not registered. I just clicked on the section about buying online.

In any case, I looked at the calendar (calendario) and they don't have it listed yet for next season, anyway. So, I guess you'll have to wait a while. You know most performing arts seasons start in September, and they don't have the 2004-2005 calendar listed on there yet, not even for Sept-Oct.

Coincidentally, that section about buying online links you to what appears to be a general ticket vendor for lots of places, not just Teatro Real. And that site does have an English section (with a few untranslated Spanish words here and there). Why don't you check that out, it is
www.generaltickets.com

Click on the "english" on the upper right side and take it from there. It's great, it allows you to buy for Bilbao, also, I checked, and other Spanish cities.

I have not tried to get a brochure, I suspect the web site is the best idea. Finding the calendar shouldn't be too hard, just look for the "calendario" section.

If you want to call, this is the phone number for the Teatro Real to buy tickets by phone:
902-24-48-48
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your encourgement. I'm going to give it another run through. Perhaps by the time I have it all figured out, they'll have the list for October. At least I have some time, but I do like to try to be on top of things.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Here's a site complete with calendar for Bsrcelona. http://www.liceubarcelona.com
enjoy
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

I just tried the 'liceubarcelona' web site. So far it's not in English but it says that the English part will be coming soon.
With my limitted Spanish, I think I'm correct to see that's there's no opera playing there the dates we'll be there in October. NO FAIR!!