Versailles v. Giverny for kids...

May 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Versailles v. Giverny for kids...

Okay, so here is my first post ever with all you folks....although I have been reading all sorts of wonderful information here! What an incredible resource - so thank you all in advance.

Here is my situation - I am off to Paris with my husband and three children as soon as school lets out. This is the first trip abroad for the kids (Boy - 13 and girls 10 and 8) and while we want to "show them" Paris we want it to be relaxed and therefore are less worried about "seeing it all" and more focused on them absorbing what they can and having memories...Towards that end we have thought that maybe during our 8 days we would just attempt 1 day trip and can't decide which would appeal to these ages. I have been to Paris - but have never taken either of these sidetrips. I see all sorts of postings rgarding adults and these sights, but what about for the younger set?

Also, we thought we might try and get some nice meals in at lunch time and then head back to the apartment for dinner to keep the days from getting too long for them, but maybe do one or two nights out. Any recommendations on spots for lunch (places that were not "off limits" to kids, but still nice) or dinner (we will be staying in the 7th??

Thanks for any help you are able to give me...
May 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Take the Fat Tire Bike Tour to either and they will have a blast!

http://www.fattirebiketoursparis.com...ur/index.shtml
May 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
PJK

While my personal preference (by far) is Giverny, I think maybe Versailles might be more memorable for them. I love flowers and gardens and thought Giverny was heaven as I was there when the wysteria was in bloom on the bridge, along with an array of other favorite flowers. If you opt for Versailles, walk into the little town where it is located. We loved it. There was a market going the day we were there. We bought lunch from a couple of places and sat in a park for our picnic. I think the bike tour is a fun idea. There is not much at Giverny except for the grounds at the garden and house, but the route there is lovely. We did a bit of hiking and ran across a huge garage sale. My kids loved that. Have fun. PJK
May 30th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Versailles for kids - Giverny would be boring to them. At Versailles they can yes rent bikes or rent pedalo boats to putz around the long waterway at the foot of the palace, in the vast park.
May 30th, 2006, 08:23 AM

Just keep visualizing the teen boy squatting in the shade of a huge urn at Versailles in the middle of a summer day. Whose photos were those? It was a hoot! Mom and I traded notes for a while after.