Reload this Page >

Versailles to Chartre

Search

Versailles to Chartre

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:01 PM
Jane

Versailles to Chartre

Is there a way on public transportation from Versailles to Chartre? While in Paris, I should like to visit Versailles by Metro and then on to Chartre in one day. I have noticed the guided tours but should like to do it myself.

Old May 29th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Bob Brown

The French sncf web site says there is a train or two from the Versailles Chantier station to Chartre. <BR>I have not taken that route myself. <BR>By the way, the Metro does not go to Versailles. You can take the RER. As I recall, you need Line C to Versailles Rive Gauche. It is a short walk to the palace from the station. <BR>I am not sure where the Chantier station is in Versailles. Someone else on this forum will know; of that, I am sure. <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:08 PM
clairobscur

I'm not sure of the answer, but anyway it will top your question for other responses. <BR> <BR>I *believe* there are trains between Versailles and Chartres. More exactly, I think that trains for Chartres stop at Versailles. Check www.sncf.com. I just tried but for some reason I couldn't connect to the site at the moment.

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:16 PM
jahoulih

Trains run from Versailles Chantiers to Chartres at least every hour, and the journey takes a bit less than an hour. The Chantiers station is about 1.3 km SE of the Palace (about 600 m farther than the Rive Gauche station).

Old May 30th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Jane

Thank all of you for your information. I had previously contacted sncf with my question, but got no response.

Old May 30th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Bob Brown

You can see the details of the various departures from Versailles Chantiers to Chartres on the SNCF for yourself. <BR>(Why ask them when the schedules are readily available??) <BR> <BR>For example, a quick visit told me that trains to Chartres leave at 7:14, 7:33, 8:27, 9:28, 9:44, and 10:39. (That was as far as I took it.) <BR>The SNCF system is a little annoying because it makes you specify your departure time within a 4 hour window, but you can get the infomation with a few clicks. (You also have to click on French language screens until you get to the one that asks for the departure and destination stations. Then you can ask for English, or, better still, learn the French.