Versailles Dinner Advice, please!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for recommendations for a good bistro or cafe for dinner in Versailles. We are staying at the Westin Trianon Palace (for free with Starwood points), and the hotel's restaurants seem VERY expensive. Walking distance would be wonderful, but not necessary as we'll have a car.
Thank you! The Paris restaurant recommendations I've received seem fantastic!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

I can't recommend any because I haven't eaten in any places in Versailles, but I can say there are beaucoup cafes between, say, avenue St Cloud and avenue de Paris. Maybe also around place Marche du Notre Dame..?

Try google and read the reviews that come up in the various "resto" sites...and ask your concierge.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Travelnut. If I don't get any more specifics, I will google Versailles restaurants.
I will also look for those specific streets/areas on my map to get an idea of the area.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 10:13 AM

My son and I ate at a great, very locals type restaurant there a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, the name escapes me, but I will try to look through some of my notes to see if I have the name written down.

We walked just a couple of blocks to the left and down from the train station. It was a Sunday lunch, and this restaurant was full of locals who looked like they'd just come from church so we figured this was a good sign. We were not disappointed. The place was run by a family of man in the kitchen, wife serving and grown son behind the bar. Food and service were great. I have a photo of my dessert there - a beautiful and tasty ile flottante in a martini glass garnished with a crispy pirouline type cookie.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:55 AM

Found this on Virtual Tourist:
-------------------------------------
Britagne Creperie: Good food!
Written by ringleader on March 4, 2004.

We stayed in the IBIS Hotel across from the train station in Versailles. It is perfectly located and their room rates lower for the weekend. Also, across from the train station, we ate at a great creperie cafe. We parked our car in the secure garage belonging to the IBIS while we toured the grand Versailles Palace. (Parking cost 9 E). On my Versailles home page I have photos and more details.

The grape juice was marvelous! Crepes were delicious - we had both dinner crepes and dessert. They do have an English menu available (ask for it), and the waiters can speak a good amount of English. If the one you get initally can't, they'll give you the one who can. We ate dinner there twice. You can eat indoors or outside at the cafe tables.

Theme: Local
Price: US$11-20
Address: Across from the Versailles Train Station
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM

In 2003 we ate at La Bouef a la Mode in Versailles for a prix fixe lunch and enjoyed it very much. The food was very good and the price was reasonable. It was summer so we ate outside which of course added to the ambiance.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

Les Trois Marches has one Michelin rosette and is priced accordingly. But the Potager du Roy bears the Michelin symbol for good food at a reasonable price; so that might be a good bet.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Underhill, Travelnut, and Lili.
Those are great recommendations. You have been so helpful!!!