Reload this Page >

Versailles Dining?

Search

Versailles Dining?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Leslie

Versailles Dining?

Hi! <BR>I plan on spending a day at Versailles and was wondering if there any nice places around there to have a meal, that is not outrageously priced? Can you bring your own munchies and picnic in the gardens? Thank you!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Thomas

I don't know about picnics but the palace has a public cafeteria on a lower level. I know, I know...does NOT sound like a good idea. Let us remind ourselves that this is France...a country where eating is serious and where there ARE no bad meals. We were shocked at the quality of the food and delighted at the availability of wine splits to go with it. You will be pleasantly surprised.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:33 PM
StCirq

Here's a wonderful place to have lunch in Versailles: Brasserie La Fontaine, in the Hôtel de Trianon. It's the annex to the glamorous Troise Marches, and while the food is not exceptional, the setting can't be beat. It's at 1, boulevard de la Reine.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Lucky

I would definitely recommend having a picnic on the gardens in front of the palace. They also rent small boats for a ride down the lake in front. A picnic is inexpensive, and different for a change, but more importantly has a better view than any over priced restaurant in the area. <BR>p.s.- whoever said ALL french food is good is a big fat liar! Just like any other food, you can find some awful stuff.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 12:49 PM
elvira

I don't remember picnic tables anywhere; there were some colleg-age people munching baguettes while sitting on the grass. <BR> <BR>Across from the train station, down the street from McDonald's, are 2 or 3 restaurants. La Bretonne(rie, maybe) serves all sorts of crepes; there's a pizza place, I think, and then a small place that serves salads and the like.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 01:02 PM
StCirq

I wasn't recommending an "overpriced restaurant," Lucky, I was recommending a very reasonably priced restaurant in a setting that could easily be said to have as good a view as any outdoors at Versailles. The poster didn't ask whether she should have a picnic. She asked where she could get a meal that wasn't outrageously priced. If you don't have any useful information to offer, at least have the decency not to be snide with people who do.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Thank You

You said it! Can you believe some of these people who feel the need to criticize others for trying to help by offering advice? <BR> <BR>It's a wonder ANYONE wants to post advice the way some people crawl all over them for the silliest most tedious things! <BR> <BR>You offer incredible advice and EVEN if you didn't, it is your right to at least TRY to help. That's noble, not <BR>R-U-D-E. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Tammy

On a Sunday last May we spent a whole day at Versailles, touring the palace, grounds, fountains, and Trianons. For lunch we ate at a restaurant, reasonably priced, in the gardens very near the grand canal and near the path on the way to the Grand and Petite Trianon. Late, very late, in the afternoon we finally left and ate at the crepe place, La Bretonne, that Elvira mentioned. The crepes, main course and dessert were some of the most delicious I have ever had. Have fun!

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 06:37 PM
Prue

We also spent the better part of a whole day at Versailles and actually ate lunch sitting on the edge of the lake. There was a stall selling baguettes etc. close to the restaurant Tammy mentioned, and they were delicious.