Versailles & Chartres in one day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering doing Versailles and Chartres in one day. I am not sure how to buy the tickets. We will take the RER C to Versailles from Invalides. After touring Versailles we will go to the Versailles-Chantiers station (not sure how to get there??) to take the train to Chartres and then back from Chartres to Gare Montparnasse. I was wondering if we need to buy a separate ticket for each part of the journey. Also, how frequent are the trains from Versailles to Chartres. Many thanks for any help.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM

I wouldn't do it - you won't do justice to either IMO. Pick Chartres!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:53 PM

No, a hundreds time. At least I would not do it.
If you have to choose , choose Versailles .Have a great visit.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Sorry I meant a hundred times NO.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM

I agree, there is not enough time in one day to do both of these places justice. I would go to Versailles and save Chartres for another day or another trip but that is just my preference.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I totally agree - how long are you in Paris altogether? I would do Versaiilles on day and Chartres another day -- if you are in Paris a week or more.

Both are more than 1/2 day trips (and could each be full days if you so choose)
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:29 PM

There are about 3 trains every 2 hours, mid-day from Versailles-Chantier to Chartres. Takes about 50 minutes.

You can find timetable on www.sncf.com or www.bahn.de.

From the Versailles chateau, it's about a 20-25 minute walk to that train station; or there's a public bus, line "G", I believe that goes to Chantiers.

The return trip to Montparnasse takes about 70 minutes. About every 30 minutes in the evening.

I don't think it's that crazy an idea. If you start Versailles early, you can finish by early or mid-afternoon. On the train you can rest your legs, then wander around Chartres and have dinner there. Just make sure not to miss the last train back to Paris at 9:20p.

It'll be a long day, but not that crazy as you can rest or take a nap on the train.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Well, you could. It would be like seeing New York City in half a day.
You could whiz by something or other.

Tell me, why the urge to see something so superficially. Just by postcards; lots cheaper.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 06:56 PM

Both in one day would be insane, unless you just want to check them off your list.

Woody
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:17 PM

Have you seen Versailles before? I did this but I have been to Versailles twice. We bought roundtrip tickets for chartres at montparnesse and got off at the Versailles stop. We then walked to Versailles and spent a couple hours, very enjoyable in fact. We got there early spent a little time in the castle and we had kir at cute restaurant on the versailles ground. We saw the queens hamlet, then we taxid back to the train station completed our journey to Chartres. We had a tour with Malcolm and ate in Chartres and headed back to Paris. I loved our day!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:21 AM

It would self defeating to try and do Versailles and Chartres in one day. I think if time is limited then you have to make a decision and I would vouch for Versailles. At least if you spend the day there you get a proper feeling for the place.

http://www.travel--guide.org/Paris
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 02:33 AM

Another vote for no. Versailles may be a half-day affair, but Chartres on its own is an all-day one because there's a town to explore as well as the cathedral. My vote would be for Chartres, but that's just me - we're all different (thank goodness)!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi a,

>We are considering doing Versailles and Chartres in one day.

Absolutely NOT

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Yes, it can be done if you start early and are nimble. pjsparlor is right.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Oh, for Pete's sake!

These people aren't measuring the town for a new subway system. They want to see the cathedral in Chartres and the Palace at Versailles. Maybe more if the spirit moves them.

Easily done in one day (make that day as long as you like, as rkkwan suggested). There is nothing within Paris that is "more important" than anything outside it.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I say go for it. Get to Versailles early to beat lines... do a stroll in the gardens and in early afternoon do the 20-min walk to Chantiers station to Chartres, where the station is within view of the cathedral (which by the way should be open to 7pm if not later) - you'll even have time to stroll around the sweet regional town of Chartres around the cathedral.

As for the boorish Malcolm Miller do a search here as his cantankerous downright rude behavior as well as money-grubbing demands have been discusses by my and others in previous posts. His tours can be awesome but Caveat Emptor!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM

If the reason you are doing this is because you would like to see the cathedral and the palace, and not take in the rest of these towns as other posters certainly do, then it can be done. A lot will depend on what time of year you will be there. If it's mid summer, you will have numerous extra hours of daylight. I'd take the first train and go straight to Chartres, tour the cathedral and have a bite to eat (or pick-up picnic items for the train) and catch the train back to Versailles. Then tour Versailles at your own pace, catching the last train back to Paris.

To the posters who think it's absurd to do both in one day, If there wasn't a famous cathedral in Chartres or the palace in Versailles, would you still take a day trip to either, or both?
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
<i>&quot;If there wasn't a famous cathedral in Chartres or the palace in Versailles, would you still take a day trip to either, or both?&quot;</i>

Maybe not Versailles - but Chartres? Absolutely. It is a great place to explore. To travel all the way to Chartres to simply check the cathedral off some list is fine. I personally think missing the rest of the town would be a huge shame.

Yes one <i>can</i> do them in one day. But do you just want photo ops or do you want time to explore? The decision is along the lines of &quot;are you a tourist or traveler&quot;???

It just amazes me how many people want to dash around Europe taking a peek a lots and &quot;seeing&quot; almost nothing.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Pausanias

Interesting pair at that -- Chartres a monument to the spiritual, Versailles to the worldly.

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM

It just amazes me how many people want to savor places that can be totally assimilated in an hour or two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -