Search

Versaille or Loire Valley

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Versaille or Loire Valley

Hello again,

I'm in the final stages (I think!!) of organsing a European trip and greatly appreciate the invaluable advice I have recieved so far.

I am in Paris for six full days. I will be spending one day at Eurodisney (a birthday present from friends) and doing a day trip to Mont St Michael.

I would like to either do a tour to Versaille and Giverney, or a day trip/tour to the Loire Valley - but would rather not both as I am afraid I may already have too few days in Paris itself.

I would appreciate any advice as to which place/s people think I would better off seeing!

Thank you very much (again!) in advance!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM

If you are not absolutely mad for Monet there is no point in going out to Giverny, and even if you are absolutely mad for Monet, your time is better spent at the Musee Marmottan in Paris.

What makes you want to see Versailles? The rooms or the gardens? What time of year is this trip?

And what about the Loire Valley? Is there some special that attracts you?

I'm thinking you might enjoy it if you just stayed in Paris all four days. I doubt you'll get bored.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response nessundorma!

I do absolutely love Monet, however I had intended to visit the gallery's in Paris, and had thought I would see a lot there(!).

I had thought I would want to see Versaille for both the rooms and the gardens. From what I have read the gardens are meant to be incredible, however I had heard that for castles, I would be better off visiting the Loire Valley.

The Loire Valley - I had thought I may like to go there for the castles, and I had read that it is just a beautiful area of France to see.

I will have already spent a week in Provence, if this makes any difference?

My concern wasn't so much that I would run out of things to do in Paris (by the sounds, I could spend weeks upon weeks there and still be finding new things to do), but more that these may be places 'not to miss'? However, if they are dispensable, then I will spend the time in Paris!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your trip and not mine, but I'd skip MSM, spend most of a day at Versailles, perhaps another partial day in Giverney and the balance in Paris.

The Loire Valley is too much ground to cover in a one-day trip from Paris, but it would be possible to make a day trip to see just one castle or perhaps two if they were near each other. If you must see MSM and want to see a Loire castle, combine them into a 2-day trip with an overnight stay either in MSM or near the Loire castle.

It is physically possible to go to Giverney and Versailles in one day but certainly not advisable.

The best advice I'd give is to shorten your list and slow down. Paris is too amazing to be used merely as a launch pad to other destinations in France.

Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM

Do you have to decide in advance? It is very simple to get a train or bus to Versailles or likewise Giverny. You can decide in Paris, based on the weather and how you feel about Paris. Just gather all the information about how to get to these places before you leave so if you get up in the morning and want to go, you can.

By the way, I am quite mad for Monet, and I do think the Musee Marmottan is the best way to appreciate his work.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM

Giverny is lovely, but one goes there to see Monet's house and gardens, not to see his paintings; those are best seen in Paris at the Musée d'Orsay and Musée Marmottan. So go to Versailles.

Your time is to short to visit the Loire Valley and still be Leave the Loire for another trip when you can spend at least several days there.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:35 AM

"I am afraid I may already have too few days in Paris itself." You're right.
Two day trips are enough - perhaps one too many. I'd say, Giverny or the Loire Valley, and then Mont St. Michel, in that order. As for Eurodisney, could you donate that gift to a deserving child?
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:57 PM

I loved both Giverney (I'm a big Monet fan) and Versailles, so you can't go wrong with either. Giverney is great because his home and gardens are really amazing, and the house had replicas of many paintings, which I thought was really need.

However, is this your first time in Paris? If so, I'd focus there since you are already taking two days out for Disney and MSM.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:18 AM
ira

Hi B,

Another vote for waiting until you are in Paris before deciding on daytrips.

You have only 6 days. You might decide to stay in the city.

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your help! After reading through the advice (and noticing that a number of responses were from people whose suggestions I have used and pinched from other posts!), I have decided waiting til I get there sounds like a good idea! I'm sure I'll have more than enough to do in Paris, but if I have time, I can decide then.

I really cannot express how much these fodors forums have helped me - thank you very very much!