Reload this Page >

Verona Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Mariarosa

Hi! I am trying to find a place to stay in Verona for mid-March. I used the "search" function and did not come up with a lot of choices. The Gabbia d'Oro, recommended by many fodorites, is WAY out of our budget. Our budget is about $100 a night, but we would be willing to pay a bit more for a great place. The other recommended hotels, the Giuletta e Romero and the De' Capuleti look a bit sterile. <BR> <BR>1) Has anyone stayed at Hotel Victoria (a splurge for us, but not as much as the Gabbia), Hotel Torcolo, Hotel Aurora, Hotel Cavour or Residence Verona House? <BR> <BR>2) Do I need to make advance reservations if we will be spending Friday and Saturday night in mid-March and we will arrive in Verona Fri at around noon? <BR> <BR>Any experiences that you can share will be greatly appreciated!

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Paulo

Verona has a large hotel infrastructure for its size. This is so because of the Opera festival in summer. Unless there's a big fair (very unlikely) being organized in the days you plan to be there in March, one shouldn't have any problems at all finding rooms in person. I for one, wouldn't reserve in advance. <BR> <BR>If you like music, you may consider attending the Teatro Filarmonico, at 8:30pm: <BR> <BR>March 10: Adam's Giselle ballet <BR> <BR>March 17: Bethoven's Violin Concert in D major; Pärt's Cantata in memory of Benjamin Britten; Rachmaninov's Symphonic Dances <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:20 AM
sandi

We stayed at the Guilietta e Romeo hotel. (Vicolo Tre Marchetti, 3) Very clean, excellent location to the main piazza and friendly staff. (The hotel was about $150.00 US for 3 people)

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:34 AM
Virginia

Hi! Last June we stayed at Hotel Torcolo, which had been recommended by friends. <BR>I can recommend it. It is very clean, simple (but not sterile), and very convenient. No lobby, but nice outdoor breakfast area, although it was located right on a side street. The hotel is just one block in from Piazza Bra and the Arena(and only a 5-10 minute drive from the train station), and although there was a lot of street life when we were there, it still was quiet at the hotel. <BR>The people who operate the hotel were extremely pleasant and helpful. Unfortunately I don't remember the cost, but I can't imagine it was much more than $100, as that was our price range and this was not our "splurge" hotel. And that would have been in high season. <BR>We had reservations. I don't know if this is necessary in March; however the hotel is right near the opera so if people visit for the opera, it is in prime location and may be more desirable. <BR>I hope this helps. <BR>Good luck and enjoy Verona! <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 04:25 PM
wendy

Hotel Accademia.......

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 08:20 AM
Mariarosa

Thanks to all who have responded! Sandi and Virginia, thanks for the recommendations (Sandi, I think you were the one who convinced me to stay at the Laon Bianco in Venice). <BR> <BR>Paulo, thanks for the peace of mind! <BR> <BR>Wendy, could you please tell me more about the Hotel Accademia?

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Donella

Marirosa, <BR>I don't have any recomendations for hotels in Verona but I would recommend you stay in the heart of the old town as we were there a couple of years ago for the opera and stayed outside the tourist areas as all reasonable priced hotels were booked. We were in walking distance of the opera so chose to walk back to the hotel and encountered street walkers at every corner . The streets were diserted and very scary. It was the only time on our wonderful Italy trip I felt unsafe and uncomfortable. Next time I will spend more to stay in the thick of things.