Reload this Page >

Verona ...Hotel inthe centre of the old city

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 01:30 AM
Johnson

Please help with a hotel inthe centre of the old city in January 2000. Any opera on at that time and guided tours ?

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 09:31 AM
Patrick

Perhaps one of the most wonderful stays I've had in a little hotel in all of Europe was last summer in Verona. Going back this summer and staying there again, for the opera. Don't think there is any opera there in January though, certainly not in the big outdoor arena where the summer festival is held. The hotel is Gabbia d'Oro right in the heart of the town, filled with antiques, wonderful glass enclosed "garden room", and spectacular breakfast. Not cheap -- about 325.000 Lira last summer, more now for opera season. But might be less in January. Their email address is [email protected] <BR>Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.

Old Nov 21st, 1999, 12:13 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The Due Capuleti is a good 3 star option <BR>in a good location. I think you can book <BR>it thru Best Western---check it out.

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 07:57 AM
Dona

I totally agree about Gabbia D'Oro. One of my favorite in Italy...

Old Nov 22nd, 1999, 02:03 PM
kam

Also look at the Due Torre across from Sant'Anastasia Church. I'm sure there are guided tours, you can wait to get there and ask at your hotel, or you might find that you really don't need a guide. No opera to my knowledge.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 02:52 AM
sophie

The Du Torri sounds great but a little expensive for a family of 4. Any input on the Accedemia or Romeo & Guiletta? <BR>Thanks all. Any reports on the 12 Apostili ....Restaurant

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Paulo

The 12 Apostoli (vicolo Corticella San Marco 3, tel. 045 596999) is closed on Mondays and in the beginning of January, till about the 8th Reservations are a must during the opera season in summer but I would guess that in January (if you're there after the 8th) there shouldn't be any problems. It's our preferred restaurant in town for dinner. It's a very festive place in a medieval ambience, with its vaulted ceilings, frescoed walls and the two dining rooms separated by arches. Oldest in town. It's not what I would call cheap. Expect to pay about Lit 60,000/person for a full course dinner without wine. The menu changes all year long and I don't remember what's up in January. In any event, you should try the antipasti alla scaligera and the zuppa scaligera (to warm yo up) before your main course. <BR> <BR>For lunch, you may consider the fixed price menu of the Veronantica (via Sottoriva 10, tel. 045 8004124). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. How old are the "kids"? In principle, once everything but the San Zeno church is in and around the small city center, I would visit Verona on my own. I doubt you'll get more info out of a tour guide than what the Blue Guide Northern Italy (A&C Black Pub, London, ISBN 0-7136-4294-7, available at Amazon) may provide. Depending on kids' age I may suggest a "balanced" sightseeing itinerary. <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 05:14 AM
Paulo

According to your other posts, Sophie, one of your kids is a 12 year old boy. What about the other? It would also help to know what's your average budget for lodging along your itinerary in Italy. You also say you're from the southern hemisphere ... where from? just curious <BR>Paulo <BR>

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 09:52 AM
Gail

I just returned from a trip to Verona (and Venice), where in Verona we stayed at the Hotel Giulietta e Romeo. It was great. The hotel is directly off the Arena on a quiet side street, the staff was friendly, and the breakfast (by European standards) was above par. I highly recommend it. It also had a tub which you RARELY see in Europe hotels. It was only 200,000 lire/night. Quite a bargain for the hotel/location. I highly recommend staying here.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 11:06 AM
kam

Another enthusiastic vote for the 12 Apostoli. It's also our favorite in Verona--food always good, restaurant always comfortable and welcoming. It's just off the P. d"Erbe, very centrally located. Verona is great---I need to go back.