Search

Verona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verona

I will have all day on Friday Oct. 6th to see Verona and flying to U.S. on October 7th. I tried booking a hotel midway between old Verona and airport, but I keep getting "hotel booked"
Does anyone know how to find out what is going on the weekend of Oct. 6th that would make most of the hotels unavailable?

Also, any advice on touring Verona for a day. Thanks all.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM

One of my favorite cities! I was just there in May. Have you tried Venere.com for hotels? It may also depend on how many days you're talking about. Many hotels have a minimum booking like 2 or 3 nights. Anyway, Verona is a beautiful city right at the base of the mountains. The central square is Piazza Bra where the coloseum is located. It's a really lively area with restaurants and shops. Just off Piazza Bra there are numerous streets with all the cosmopolitan shops.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Forgot to mention, hotels may be booked because of the opera. Verona is a big cultural center. Try to find a hotel first but also google and find out if there are concerts going on.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:19 PM

What opera? There's no opera in October, Buongiorno-the Arena Opera season runs only until the end of August, so you won't have any problem on that score, acbl-however there COULD be any number of trade fair/business conferences going on there, so that might be the reason you're finding unavailability.

You know what? I just went on venere.com and you're right, they are showing 0 availability-they must have limited inventory for this area, because I also just went on kayak.com (kayak.com, btw, is GREAT with hotels-it has better inventory than venere.com, I've recently found) and they show some hotel availability both in Verona, and in the near surrounding area for the night of October 6th, at all price ranges, so you need to check there: www.kayak.com.

Myself, I'm not a fan of Verona-there are a LOT more towns in Northern Italy that I find more interesting-if I were you, I'd try to spend the night in Venice or Udine. The Giulieta balcony draw is very touristy-and I was no great fan of the Arena-which I found pretty blah-but for one day, you can find enough to entertain yourself-there's pretty good shopping there, if nothing else.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:31 PM

I love Verona, especially for a one-day visit. Great wine bars and good food is easily found, good strolling, interesting sights besides the arena and Juliet's place. The church of San Zeno is a favorite of mine.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM

My take on Verona? "un po' provinciale"
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Verona is a marvelous place to visit, especially the Castelvecchio art museum designed by Carlo Scarpa, one of the finest museum designs in Europe. The Roman Arena is extremely well-preserved and a joy to behold, and both the Duomo and the church of Zeno are rewarding visits.

By all means stay away from the tourist trap of the Romeo/Juliet stuff.

Food in Verona is great if you know where to look, and wine is particularly find in the that area of the Veneto.

If you can't book directly in Verona, you might try Peschiera del Garda, which is quite close on the train line and has the added attraction of being an historic lake town. I'm unfamiliar, however, with the location of the Veronese airport, so I'm not sure which town would be convenient to it if you can't book Verona.

Have you tried B&Bs in Verona?

http://www.bbitalia.it/en/bed-breakfast-verona.html

http://www.gardayou.com/
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:11 PM

These might help too:

http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Veneto/.../index.uk.html

http://www.italytraveller.com/en/r/v...iera-del-garda
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:16 PM

acbl,

I also wanted to say that far from being provincial or simply a town that caters to tourists like Venice, Verona is a regional center of commerce, with international business clientele. One sign of that is how good the food is, the other is that it is hosting the international trade show for stone and marble in early October.

http://www.marmomacc.com/home.asp

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:24 PM
lvk

Years ago, we encountered zero availabilty in Verona in late September/early October. Turns out, there was a Stone and Marble Workers' Convention in the city. We had drive out to Largo di Garda to find available lodging.

I really enjoyed Verona and hope to stop there again when we are in Italy next month. My favorite memory was sitting in Piazza Bra, eating a gelato, watching the fountains and listening to the orchestra rehearsing in the arena.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM
lvk

nessundorma,

We must have been posting at the same time. I guess those stone workers are creatures of habit! It was over 10 years ago that we were in Verona while that convention was there. Some of the attendees were even staying in the little pensione we found in Lazise.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:27 PM

As I recall, there are many big trade fairs in Verona including the wine expo..these might make hotel rooms scarce at certain times.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Nessun -your take on Venice being "just for tourists" -simply is not factually based: The following is a partial list of some of the non-obvious institutions in Venice that Verona does NOT have:

1. A University Institute of Architecture-(Istituto Universitario di Architettura)

2. A school of fine arts (Accademia di belle arte di Venezia)
3. A widely acclaimed Conservatory of Music (conservatorio di musica Benedetto Marcello).
4. Intercultural Institute for comparative musical studies

There are other foundations (Cini) and institutes which I've not named-housed in some of the Palazzi that line the Canal Grande-and that is in addition to the many museums.

In addition, it has a large and well-renowned University with international ties -Ca Foscari (Verona has a university, but it is regional in nature).

So for those who think Venice is a "tourist" town-that it is, and for good reason, but it is so much more-Verona cannot, and never could be, compared to Venice in any category-Italians don't consider Verona a "citta d'arte" (art city) rather, a business center-and a not particularly interesting one at that.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Gypsygirltravel,

I got the impression reading more than one of your posts about Italy that your interests in traveling there center around touristy things and places, which is why I wrote what I did. Perhaps I got the wrong impression.

I think strong opinions on a message board are helpful to people planning trips, since they immediately provoke a lot of correctives and a variety of views! Obviously your limited expreience of Verona and your disapointments are not shared by many experienced travelers familiar with Italy, who like to encourage others to go there, rather than discuourage them in favor of Venice.

You were the one who first compared Verona to Venice, and I thought people reading this thread should also be given more perspective on why Venice might have greater appeal to certain tourists while Verona would have greater appeal to others.

Italians with whom I speak are always delighted when I report that I've visited Venice, and talk about its many charms with fondness. By contrast, the same Italians very often deplore what has become of Venice, and say they are saddened to be there.

Like I said, I think all this information is helpful and most people reading these threads know to put whatever is posted in perspective. Travel is inherently subjective. Some people like chocolate, others pistachio.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Ooops -- sorry for the typo. I meant to write:

Italians are always delighted when I report that I've visited VERONA -- not Venice.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Admittedly I have only visited Verona on a day trip, but I found it a charming town.
Certainly there is the R+J cash in, but that seems such a minor part of the attractions. The Roman amphitheatre (Which I think is the 3rd largest in the world) and the medieval walls and castle were both excellent.

My favoutite part of the vist was leaving the city, crosing over the Roman bridge, climbing the hill and looking back at the view over the roofs of the town.

If you start crossing off all towns "not as interesting as Venice", then you are going to end up with a very very short list.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM

Actually, I don't agree at all with that Wllis, there are a LOT of towns in Northern Italy that are lovely places to visit that are QUITE interesting of themselves-Treviso, with its lovely frescoes, Padova, which is a charming university town with its frescoes by Giotto, Conegliano, Udine-which most tourists don't get to, yet has a miniature Palazzo Ducale and a Clock Tower similar to Venice dating back to the 15th century, there's lovely Vicenza, Cittadella-I can go on and on- Verona, however, just doesn't belong in the above group, IMO.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Gypsygirltravel,

You are arguing with something willtt didn't say. Re-read what he said.

No one is denying that the towns you named can hold the interest of a great many travelers (and bore others). What you seem to have difficulty accepting is that Verona is exactly the same in that regard.

It's good that you post here that Verona bores you and why. The OP may be more like you than he/she is like those of us who find much to enjoy in Verona's present day atmosphere, food, wine, artistic treasures and certainly its authentic history.

One thing we seem to all agree on is that the Romeo and Juliet stuff is probably best avoided. (I've never even seen it.)

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM

I am planning a couple of down days between skiing in the Dolomites and skiing in the Piedmont Area. My game plan had been Milan -- but perhaps Verone or Turin would be better choices. (I'm starting in Venice -- so will have already been there) This will be in early March -- so I doubt that I will be sitting in the central square -- any thoughts?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM

One of the largest pleasures of Verona is that it is so comfortable to walk around in -- which may not be so evident in March.

Torino has a unique array of museum offerings, which make it a very appealing March destination.

I really like Milano, but one of the things I like best about it is nighttime strolls -- and Milano is expensive.

All your choices have great food and wine offerings. I'd vote for Torino. This is my favorite website for the town:

http://www.extratorino.it/ENG/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -