Search

Verona

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Rose

Verona

My husband and I and another couple will be travelling from Bellagio (after spending 2 nights at the Belvedere Hotel) throught to Venice by car and have decided to stop over in Verona for one night. Could you all be so kind as to advise me as to where we should stay (hotel/restuarant suggestions) and what all we should see and do there. We probably will arrive after lunch and leave the next day mid morning for Venice. Bob did suggest we stop over on route from Bellagio to Verona at Sirmione for lunch. <BR>Will we have enought time in Verona? <BR> <BR>How long will it take us from Verona to Venice by car? <BR> <BR>All suggestions will be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Rose <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Rex

Well, "enough", i think - - but I think you should leave Bellagio early (alas). I have never been to Sirmione, but I think you will enjoy a stop there, and might be enticed into exploring along with a lunch that is leisurely. <BR> <BR>The drive to Venice is short - - well under an hour - - but again I recopmmend that you leave reasonably early (before noon) - - and perhaps earlier than that if it is a Friday - - Venice gets a lot of "local" weekend visitors, and all the cars converge into that one road. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Paulo

Rose, sometimes Rex forgets that he's got a very heavy foot on the gas pedal Though the drive from the centre of Verona to the parking lot or garage in Venice is indeed short, you should allow 1 1/2 hour (and possibly be able to make it in a shade under that).<BR><BR>I've no idea at what time of year you're planning to travel. In summer, I'd probably skip Sirmione and concentrate on Verona. There's certainly enough stuff in Verona for a full day of sightseeing. Anyway, I estimate that driving from Bellagio to Sirmione, exploring a bit, having lunch, driving on to Verona and check in would call for some 5 hours (you should allow some 2 hours from Bellagio to Sirmione). Unless you plan for an early lunch, it'll be after 3pm when you're readdy to go in Verona. If on top of that you plan to leave Verona mid morning, that'll leave you with too little time to enjoy the city IMO. So, if you're firm on giving Sirmione a go, I agree 100% with Rex that you should depart Bellagio early, but have lunch in Verone instead.<BR><BR>Though it's been a long time since we've last been in Verona and things may have changed, Veronantica restaurant is our choice for lunch. For dinner, you may try the Dodici Apostoli.<BR><BR>Paulo<BR><BR>PS. In case you're visiting Verona in the summer ... you better hurry up making your hotel reservations!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Advisor

Rose: If you spend the night in Verona, I would heartly recommend the Hotel Columba D’Oro, easily within walking distance of the main sites in the city (Arena, for example). You might want to check out the very beautiful Giusti Gardens while you’re there. A very fine restaurant in Verona is Ristorante Greppia. We stayed in Sirmione a few years ago. The grottoes of Catullus, the poet and general, were quite fascinating, remnants of his estate.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Patrick

I am not familiar with the above mentioned Columba D'Oro, but I highly recommend the lovely Gabbia D'Oro in the center of Verona. It is a very special small and welcoming hotel. Unless you are there during the opera season it is reasonable, but prices may double during the opera -- at least we found that to be true in one years time, with and without opera. I assume you are not there during the opera, or I doubt that you would find a room in Verona at this late date. I agree about the restaurant Dodici Apostoli (Twelve apostles). It is excellent.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:14 AM
Mariarosa

Hi Rose! Even if you arrive by car, stay in the historic center of the city, even if it means dealing with its tight parking. Verona has a huge surrounding area that has many new hotels and it would probably be easier to park there, but the historic center of Verona is truly charming, and you will be able to walk to dinner and around the city without the car. <BR> <BR>There are many hotels in the historic center of Verona. We stayed at the Due Torri Hotel Baglioni which was very nice - beautiful lobby, our room had its walls covered with silk fabric and had antique furniture, the bathroom was marble with a modern tub, they provided turndown service and a lavish breakfast buffet (fresh mozzarella cheese and goat cheeses, fresh fruits and juice, huge assortment of baked goods, yogurt, eggs, hams, cappuchino, mimosas, etc). We went in the low season and booked a special rate through www.summithotels.com <BR> <BR>When we were walking around we saw other hotels which also had a good location in the historic center of Verona. Some of these were: Hotel Accademia, Gabbia d'Oro (recommemded by Karen Brown and other fodorites), Victoria (also recommended by Karen Brown), Hotel Bologna, Albergo Aurora, Hotel Mazzanti, Cavour... <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip!