Venice Weather

Aug 9th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Venice Weather

I was curious if anyone has been to Venice mid-November? It seems like i keep reading that the water rises at the end and beginning of seasons and can actually flood parts of Venice and I'm just afraid that we won't be able to get to certain parts of Venice because of it.
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Acqua alta can be encountered all year round, but the probability is certainly higher from November to March or April. I'll never understand why so many people are "afraid" of it. How do you imagine Venice? It's not a museum - people are living and working there! The court of Venice, for example, is in one of the areas most likely to be flooded; can you really imagine court hearings to be cancelled because lawyers and judges are "not able to get to" this part of town? Of course, everything keeps working, everybody gets everywhere. Maybe you'll have to take a parallel lane instead of the one you originally wanted to take. Maybe you'll have to cross some puddles (bring good shoes). But there's certainly no need to be worried. The water will usually be barely higher than the sole of your shoe. In the comparatively few points of the city where it does rise higher, catwalks are immediately built up (like in front of the court). And above all, it's the sea flooding the city, right? So acqua alta comes and vanishes with the tide. The city doesn't remain flooded from November to March. It's a matter of two, if the tide is really high maybe four hours... and no, the next high tide doesn't usually bring acqua alta back. So chin up
Aug 9th, 2008, 10:41 AM

> I'll never understand why ...

I could. Just try to put yourself in the place of someone like jake who has never been to Venice. Maybe you actually do understand but that was just an expression.

jake, out of my 10 visits to Venice, I did half of them in Nov - Dec and I experienced different levels of acqua alta, the venetian flooding. If the worst happens, you might have to adjust your plan, buy plastic overshoes. Try to make a best of it. I have to say I had a great fun when I had the worst in Dec 2006. The following is photos I took then.

http://picasaweb.google.com/kappa341003/VeniceDec2005

As said above, usually the flooding, when it does happen, lasts from early morning till about 13:00 - 14:00. After that it business as usual. Even during flooding, it does not keep tourists from visiting the city, if a bit more slowly.

Also the following will give you general ideas.
http://www.veniceword.com/weather.html

Aug 9th, 2008, 11:11 AM

I, too, suspect Jake is going to Venice for the first time and just plain doesn't know what to expect. Nothing wrong with that.

The advice to "bring good shoes" couldn't be more off the mark, unless you enjoy ruining your good shoes. If you have the room, bring rubber galoshes or wellies, or perhaps your hotel will have spares on hand for guests. Or do like many others, and just wear plastic baggies to your knees when necessary.
Aug 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM

And also keep in mind--the areas that usually experience acqua alta set up many "passarelle"--raised walkways across the flooded areas.
Aug 9th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Not to speak for franco but I think he meant bring "good shoes" that you won't mind getting wet. An inexpensive pair of shoes perhaps. Anyway, jake, I have experienced the acqua alta, it doesn't last "forever" so if it happens just go somewhere else in Venice where there isn't the flooding.
Aug 9th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

For starters, thank you kappa...your pictures are amazing. It actually got me excited again for my trip. And as for Franco, I am not "afraid" as in the sense of being scared. Like what a couple of others said, I've never been to Venice and I don't know what to expect...that's why I asked the question. Sometimes I'm leary to even ask a question on here because there seems to be those people out there who find it necessary to make rude comments. Excuse us for not knowing what goes on in other countries. I thought that's what this forum was for....to learn new things about different countries and cultures. If one was to post questions on here in regards to the United States, I would happily answer anything that was asked...knowing that that person doesn't know anything about the area, the weather, the food, etc. And again, as far as being "afraid"...the water levels you encounter would be nothing considering what our weather has done this summer. The state of Iowa(including my own town) had flood levels as high as 10 feet above ground level...not sea level. If I can deal with that I can deal with a couple cms. That's why I asked the question....just curious as to how high the water could get. Thank you to those of you who answered my question without making me feel foolish.
Aug 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM

We experienced flooding last Fall, near the end of September2007. Of course, they put up the planks astonishingly quickly, but the wind turned our umbrella inside out, ruining it. We made our way back to the room, picking up some delicious little sandwiches and cheesecakes and a bottle of vino on the way. It was a cozy picnic, standing by the window overlooking the canal. Then we had a nap till the rain stopped, and everyone ventured back out. It's not the end of the world, in fact, you could spend some cozy hours eating, drinking and resting for evening!
Aug 13th, 2008, 04:28 AM

I've encountered the acqua alta, and it was an interesting experience that I enjoyed. It did not hinder out trip in any way, but one tip-bring an extra pair of shoes. Even with our best efforts, my friend's shoes got wet, and she didn't have another pair. It was very uncomfortable for her.

Search this Thread