Venice Water Taxi--Tip?

Search

Venice Water Taxi--Tip?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Water Taxi--Tip?

Just nailing down some final details for our trip (just 3 weeks away!)
We're going to take a water taxi from train station to hotel. I've seen some conflicting things in various guide books and websites. Is it usual, expected, to tip the water taxi driver?
Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Yes, a small tip will be appreciated.
I did tip...and I can say thay they usually love the americans...in part because of our tips.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Well, I didn't tip. I asked at the water taxi stand for a price quote to our hotel and asked if a tip was expected. The taxi stand "negotiator" told me 55 Euro total so that's what I paid the boat driver. He seemed appreciative as I handed him the money. By the way, the water taxi was a unique experience but very expensive compared to our ride back to the train station on the vaporetto. 1st time in Venice, I'd recommend a splurge on the water taxi and from then on use the "water buses" and save your Euro for the excellent shopping and restaurants.

Ken
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Everyone knows that water taxi prices are exorbitant. Very few locals use this overly expensive service. Water taxi drivers do not expect gratuities but are always appreciative and gracious when they receive one. I've never seen or heard of a water taxi driver in Venice <i>diss</i> a passenger for not tipping. If your driver helps you with luggage and spares you from having to lift a bag, a 10% gratuity will certainly make him smile and gush with appreciation. But this is totally up to the passenger.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:40 PM
rex

By contrast, I <i>have</i> experienced a big-time hustle by guys who essentially threw themselves (and their luggage carts) at us, saying &quot;let us help you get you to a water taxi&quot; (emerging from car rental return at Piazzale Roma) - - and then trying to shake us down for 10000 LIT (5 euro) per bag.

I'd tip the water taxi driver the same as an airplane pilot.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 08:37 PM

Hustlers can be found in every city that caters to millions of tourists. A street-smart, rested traveler is more likely to sniff out a scam artist but bad things sometimes happen to nice people.

I've never taken a water-taxi from P. Roma but Rex has mentioned this event in other threads. It makes sense that hustlers would hang at P. Roma, and possibly at Ferrovia.

My experience with water taxis includes airport transfer, the Ferrovia stand, Vallaresso stand, Rialto stand, and calling for one to pick me up on the Zattere in Dorsoduro. My post above references these abundant water taxi experiences.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:07 AM
ira

Hi alms,

A tip is not expected, but a euro or two would not be unappreciated.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Wow, I had no idea they didn't expect a tip. I guess I must have looked like kind of silly tipping $15 for a water taxi from San Silvestro to the airport. He was on time, very gracious, and very helpful with our bags, however, so I didn't really mind.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Tipping in Italy is not expected (not in restaurants nor taxis not even at the hairdressers) however, as in any land, would of course be appreciated and never refused. I would possibly add a euro for each bag, if the bags are directly handled by the driver, if not -- why bother? The prices for the water taxis are high enough as is it.

Only in Venice was I ever handed a restaurant bill with the words &quot;the tip is not included&quot; . Mind you, the service charge was already calculated in the bill. A tip, in any country is voluntary. Needless to say, that waiter received no tip.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 09:13 AM

When we (four couples) hired a water taxi from the airport, we were quoted a rate of 110 Euro. We paid 30 Euro a couple, which included a 10 Euro tip.

It was a wonderful ride, all our luggage was handled for us, and we were taken very close to our hotel's door.

We considered it money very well spent!

Byrd