Venice-Visiting Murano and Burano

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a short time in Venice but have heard the islands of Murano and Burano are not to be missed. How long does it take to get to Murano and tour? Has anyone visted both islands in a half day? I'm just trying to see if the visit would be feasible.
Thank you!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:34 AM

A lot of people will tell you that Murano is a waste of time, but I think it's a delightful break from the main hustle of Venice. You can take a Valparetto there in a short time, and just stroll about the shops and neighborhoods. Also, if you want to buy any glass items, they are much less expensive on Murano. The further back into the island you go the cheaper.

I haven't been to Burano, where the colorful houses are even more charming. I think you could manage both in half a day if you don't stay on either too long.

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:35 AM

If you are interested in glassblowing, then Murano is definitely worth a visit. Otherwise I'd skip it. Murano is also worth a visit.

BUT--on our first trip to Venice we had 4-1/2 days and we didn't have time to get to Murano, Burano, or Torcello.

How much time do you have there?
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:47 AM
ira

Hi Meg,

For a short trip you might wish to squeeze in Burano for the colorful buildings.

It's about 1 1/2 hr from San Marco to Burano.

Route and schedule information are at

http://www.actv.it/eng/home.php
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:48 AM

It depends on how "short" is your short time. Also "not to be missed" depends on your personal interests. This is a trip you can easily choose to do once you are in Venice and can see how your time is passing. If you choose to go to Murano and/or Burano, I would not take a tour. Tours, especially to Murano, hurry you along and then end up at a glass-blowing factory attached to the tour company. It's easy to visit both these islands on your own via regular vaporetti.

Murano is a short trip across the lagoon. Its canals are lined with glass shops and glass factories. There is a glass museum and a few notable churches as well.

Burano is a greater distance across the lagoon (45 miutes?). Very picturesque with its colorful buildings and leaning campanile. It is also notable for lace-making, though you should check quality carefully.

Depending on how much time you spent poking around in shops and how well you connected to the next vaporetto, you could fit a visit to both into half a day.

If you decide to go all the way to Burano, I would suggest you also stop at nearby Torcello. This island gives a totally different view of Venice--grassy fields and farmhouses. And if you are a fan of mosaics, the church has an impressive Last Judgement.

If you only had 2 nights in Venice, I would skip these islands. If you have more time than that, you might consider it.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you all so much for your quick and informative responses. Really helped us decide... I didn't want to mention in my first post, we have only 1 day in Venice! I think we will skip the islands and have an excuse to go back the next trip to Europe.
Thank you all again.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 08:35 AM
ira

Hi Meg,

If you have only 1 day in Venice, I suggest that you not make plans.

Take a look at a map (www.multimap.com) and you will see that it is a small town.

Wandering about, people watching at a cafe table, and just enjoying the city is great.

If you like to plan, take a look at the Fodor's mini guide.

Enjoy your day.

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
have been to Venice only twice, 5 days each time, and filled my days simply wandering around in the central part of the city. Vaporetto to and from the train station & once on the Grand Canal.

with only 1 day i would not try to include anything more.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:01 AM

Hi
Do a search here on my name, or on Paulo, and you will find a suggested one-day itinerary. The one under my name is Paulo's with a few of my own suggestions as well.