Venice, Tuscany, Rome Itinerary, Lodging neede

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ladies and Gentlemen,<BR> Due to your generous and overwhelmingly helpful advice I have developed the following itinerary:<BR>Day 1: Depart USA (evening)<BR>Day 2: Arrive Venice (morning)<BR>Day 3: Venice<BR>Day 4: Depart Venice via train to Florence, rent car, drive to Tuscany <BR>Day 5: Tuscany<BR>Day 6: Tuscany<BR>Day 7: return car (morning) stay in Florence all day<BR>Day 8: Train from Florence to Orvieto (morning); Orvieto to Rome (evening)<BR>Day 9: Rome (walking tour with Scala Reale)<BR>Day 10: Rome <BR>Day 11: Rome<BR>Day 12: Rome<BR>Day 13: Depart Rome (morning) for USA (morning)<BR><BR>I could now use your help in four areas. First, where would you recommend staying in Venice? Second, where would you recommend for Rome? Third, would you recommend using Florence as a base in the Tuscan region, or would you choose lodging outside of that city? Fourth, where would you recommend staying for the Tuscan leg of the itinerary?<BR>Money is an object, so I can't stay any place that runs $500 a night, but for this honeymoon, around $200 a night is not unreasonable.<BR><BR>Thanks again for your help.<BR>
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Honeymooner,<BR>We are going in two weeks for our 10th anniversary with a similar itinerary to yours. Check out this website - sinahotels.com - they have properties in Rome, Venice and Florence. They have a &quot;special&quot; rate if you stay five or seven nights in a combination of hotels. The combo price will run about $250/night for the 5 star properties.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 07:28 AM

Looks great--you have been paying attention. As for hotels, you can do well with a search, but here is a starter set:<BR>Venice: Locanda Barbarigo--Pensione Accademia--Hotel Ala--Hotel Flora<BR><BR>Rome: Albergo Cesari, Residenza Farnese,Casa Howard, Santa Chiara<BR><BR>Have fun--eat tons of gelato--and report back with the details.<BR>Go to www.slowtrav.com and find my article on &quot; 22 Travel Tips&quot;.<BR>BUON VIAGGIO !
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses.<BR>Bob, I noticed that the hotels you recommended were predominantly 3-star places. I was hoping for more 4 or 5 star places, which is probably tough considering my per/night budget. Do you believe that the three star places you recommended are underrated?<BR><BR>I read your travel tips and will live by them.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi Wanda,<BR> The number of stars is based on the facilities provided, not necessarily the atmosphere, accomodations, etc.<BR> I suggest you do a google search on the places Bob suggested.<BR><BR>Here's<BR>http://www.locandabarbarigo.com/eng_frame1.html <BR>for a start.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM

Hi- Check out Ca' dei Conti (www.cadeiconti.com) in Venice. We stayed there two weeks ago and were very pleased. It's four-star and on a small canal close to San Marco. We were delighted with it.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hi<BR>You're not going to get a 5 star hotel room for $200 and even a 4-star is not so easy, though possible if you will settle for a small room. My favorite in Venice is the Flora, I think it's a 4-star, but if they have a double at that price it will be one of their smallest rooms I think, unless times are tough.<BR><BR>I love the Santa Chiara in Rome that Bob also mentioned; the del Senato is another much-praised moderately-priced hotel in Rome.<BR><BR>I'd , all other things being equal, rather have the best room in a 3 star than the worst room in a 4 star.<BR>Just make sure that you know what you're getting: elevator if you want it, private bath or shower (specify), breakfast if you want, and great location.<BR><BR>Some hotels don't want to upgrade their government star ratings, it increases their taxes.<BR>There are lots of charming and convenient hotels in the cities you've mentioned for the price you want to pay.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm checking out the sites that Bob and Elaine recommended, and they look nicer than many of the places I've stayed in the US. If they come with your recommendations, I'm going to give them a shot.<BR><BR>Elaine, a while back you mentioned places to stay in the Tuscan region called (and I'm going to butcher this)<BR>agritourismo's. What are they? Are they like Bed and Breakfasts? Do you have any you would recommend?<BR><BR>I'm considering staying in Florence and making day trips into the countryside, but I'd rather stay in the countryside and make a day trip into Florence. A poster recommended Locando Dell'Amorosa, which looks amazing. Are there any other places I should check out?<BR><BR>Thanks
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Camargiotta

In Tuscany, we stayed at Fattoria del Colle Agriturismo less that 1 hr. south of Siena. Very peaceful place with an excellent location from which to take day trips. Check out there website:<BR>WWW.cinellicolombini.it<BR>They have daily activities if you so choose which included a cooking class. What a hoot that was!

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:58 PM

In Venice, I'd recommend Flora too, but only the larger rooms. It's a lovely hotel, reasonably priced, and the location is terrific.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:04 PM

There is a Hotel Grand Bella Vista in Montecatini which also owns a Hotel in Florence. The Bella Vista was 5 Star and very nice, sitting above the city and near the thermal spas. Also close to the funicolare that takes you to Montecatini-Alto. www.panciolihotels.it<BR>and www.montecatini-terme.it<BR>It is near Pistoia on the map some don't show Montecatini.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:31 PM

Wand102,<BR><BR>Upon the recommendation of Bob the Navigator, we booked La Costa, a small place in Montefollonico (Tuscany) for 4 nights in April. It looks great on the web (www.lacosta.it.) A large room (we need a triple) with a lovely view, including breakfast, cost euro 180. It also got a very nice review on another travel site, but I forgot which one! Check it out, and congrats!
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:18 AM

sorry, I have no info on <BR>agritourismos<BR>wasn't me
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:26 AM

You can search for farmhouses and apartments throughout Tuscany at Agriturismo.net<BR><BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:35 AM

There are hundreds of rural properties in Tuscany. But, as always, location and price are the qualifiers. Tuscany is a big place.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I'll also recommend Fattoria de Colle. It's in Trequanda, which is between Siena and Pienza, about 20-25 kilometers from each. A delightful spot and a great location. The view from your is not to be believed!<BR>During peak season, you may not be able to get short-term accommodations. However, it's worth a try.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Staying in Florence would be great, because the train station is very centrally located and you could stay at a place that would be a short walk to it. Then you could do day trips to some Tuscan/Umbrian towns, and have one of the most beautiful cities to return to at night. I would do it this way next time. I recently stayed 2 weeks in a villa outside Cortona - wonderful, but the driving does get old. Since you've got a car though, you could also consider staying in a smaller city, like Siena. I just think you're already doing a lot of hopping around and you should pick one place to spend the night while you're in Tuscany. (Its much more relaxing that way, and you get treated better when you're a repeat visitor to restaurants.) Make sure you visit some of the towns at night - they're a lot of fun, beautiful and less touristy at that time.<BR><BR>Also - Rome. Years ago we stayed at Hotel Portugese, right near Piazza Navona and Piazza Pantheon. It was a true find, you should check into it. This general location, even if you can't stay at that hotel, can't be beat.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:51 AM

If you want to stay in Florence itself, there is a charming B&amp;B called B&amp;BInPiazza della Signoria. I believe that they have a listing on tuscany.net. The atmosphere is amazing and their rooms are unbelievable.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:46 AM

We just returned from a trip to Rome/Florence/Venice. We stayed at the Hotel Ala in Venice and the Santa Chiara in Rome. Both were wonderful! The Ala is a very pretty hotel and our rooms were charming - with a canal view. The location was great and it was always easy to find our way home late at night! Something you will need in Venice to be sure! I also loved the Santa Chiara. Again, the location could not be beat - right around the corner from the Pantheon and surrounded by lovely little shops and pizzerias. These hotels are both great, I hope to return to Italy soon (especially Venice) and I would not hesitate to stay at either of them again. P.S. both included very nice breakfasts as well.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Another vote for Albergo Del Senato in Rome. This hotel is located in Piazza della Rotonda (across from the Pantheon). We had a room on the top floor with a little balcony and a view of the entire Piazza. The room was small but very lovely. The bathroom was modern and functional. The breakfast was OK. I would definetely stay there again on my next visit to Rome primarily because of its central location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -