Search

Venice Train station

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice Train station

Guys,
Can i confirm that the Venice Train station is either San Lucia or Mestre? And how do I get to these stations from Arsenale?

I also read something about the new trenitalia policies that you can no longer purchase tickets with reservations? is that true? I thought i read it in one of the fodors forum, when i tried to find it again, i can't seem to locate it anymore. and tehn when i went to trenitalia's website, i can't click on the "BUY" ticket. I have a party of 5, would it be VERY difficult to get a seat from Venice to Florence on a January thursday evening? HELP!
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 02:40 PM

kalunchi, if you are going to Venice to stay you want to get off the train at the Santa Lucia station.

Your other questions I cannot answer as I always buy my train tickets in Italy. Am sure other travelers can advise you.

Regarding going from Venice to Florence on a Thursday evening in January should not be any problem at all. Have a beautiful trip.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Buy your tickets at any travel agency in Venice 24 or 48 hours prior. With 5 and luggage, I would pop for a water taxi from Arsenale--about 60E. The vaporetto will take more than an hour and be a real hassle. The trains run hourly--should not be difficult.
Old Dec 14th, 2004, 07:34 PM

bob, can you tell us a location or two of the travel agencies? Or are there so many that you will definitely come across one? I'll be staying in San Marco. Thanks.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:17 AM
jgg

The post you maybe referring to regarding new Trenitalia policies is on Slowtrav.com under their Italy forum entitled Trenitalia:latest news.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM

GAC has posted the info on reservations and a wealth of info about Italian trains - three different types of. Search for GAC - in last few days. Hopefully he'll answer your question as he's a frequent contributor and superb source for current Italian train stuff.
As for Mestre station, it's across the lagoon on the mainland. Santa Lucia is a dead-end station in the heart of Venice, right near the Grande Canale. All trains from S Lucia stop at Mestre a few minutes later. There are some Bologna-Florence-Rome trains that only serve Mestre, so on some connections you may have to change there.
Old Dec 15th, 2004, 11:55 AM
ira

Hi kalunchi,

As noted: you want the Can Lucia station and a water taxi will be the best way for 5 people.

>...i can't click on the "BUY" ticket.<

Did you change the date to xx 01 **2005**