Reload this Page >

Venice to Rome Please help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Kristin

Does anyone know how long it takes to Get to Rome from Venice. Is there a train, and if so how long does it take. Does the train link to the two airports? Thanks

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Rex

Yes, the eurostar goes in about 4.5 hrs Venice (Ferrovia) to Rome (Termini). See www.raileurope.com for some of the details but don't buy your tickets there. Big markup. See www.fs-on-line.com for more details.<BR><BR>No, there is no direct connection airport to airport, you have to go through the stations listed above - - and from Venice no train at all Ferrovia to airport.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Ben Haines

<BR><BR>I agree with Rex, as usual. I thought I might just add that you gain sightseeing time if you board the Marco Polo Express from Venice Santa Lucia (same as Ferrovia) about 2315, leave at 2332, and reach Rome Tiburtina at 0726. The train has in first class 1 and 2 berth sleepers, and second class 2 berth sleepers. Also seats, which I by no means recommend.<BR><BR>Two bus routes run from the airport at Venice. The fast one is to Piazza Roma, some two hundred yards walk (with bridges) from Santa Lucia. The slow takes an hour through a string of villages to Mestre station. A way in luxury from Piazza Roma to Santa Lucia station is by water taxi, and a way in great luxury is by gondola. There is also a waterbus every hour from the airport that takes an hour to the Piazza San Marco.<BR><BR>Welcome to Europe<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 10:25 AM
MK

Kristin,<BR><BR>If you search on the FS website that Rex mentions you will see 2 choices for Venice train stations-Mestre and Santa Lucia. Mestre is on the mainland and Santa Lucia is on the island.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Rex

Thanks, Ben.<BR><BR>As might be supposed, I was thinking of doing this day time. It's not my cup of tea to sleep overnight on a train. I prefer a bed that stays put until I am ready to get out of it.<BR><BR>I have posted info before about day time riding - - and dining - - on the Venice-Rome route:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1286085<BR><BR>and<BR><BR >http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1345458<BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 08:12 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:43 AM
elaine

to the top