Venice to Rome Itinerary

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Rome Itinerary

We are flying into Venice February 10 and are needing help with itinerary. We plan to spend 3 days in Venice and then take the train to Florence staying in Florence 2-3 days with a side excursion to Piza and then on to Rome for 2-3 days. I have read alot of threads and thank everyone for their experiences. While in Venice, we want to see the canals via boat, visit the Basilica di San Marco and have a nice lunch or dinner(suggestions for food). What else would be nice to see or do? Do we need three full days? In Florence we're planning to go see Michelangelo's David (Do we need advanced reservations at this time of year), visit the Paizza del Duomo and climb for the view and take a side trip to Piza via train. Train to Rome for 2-3 days and would like input as to what to not miss. We have a total of 8 days and I would appreciate input as to how many days in each location so we can best use our time. Thank You in advance..
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:54 PM

I would cut back Venice to two days and add the extra day to Rome.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Hi

In general I would advice you to not try to cover too much in one trip. In 8 days I would try to focus on two places...maybe three. I have not been to Florence but I have been to Venice and Rome and I think Rome has more to offer. Here is a trip report from Rome with pictures and links: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

I went to Venice a few years back and here is a similar trip report: http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm

Hope this helps. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I think Rome has Europe's greatest sheer volume of first class sights, architecture, artwork, etc. spanning thousands of years of European history and culture.

But Venice has more than enough to keep one occupied for more than 3 days:

Some of the sights, sites, and activities in Venice:

Piazza San Marco, Basilica San Marco, Campanile, Palace of the Doges, Grand Canal on a vaporetto, Lagoon islands: (Murano, Burano, Torcello), San Michelle, Gondola yard. The Arsenal and the Naval Museum, Correr Museum, Accademia art museum, Peggy Guggenheim Gallery, numerous art shows and exhibits that are always running, The Ghetto. Another dozen or so specialty museums (Lace museum, Archaeological musuem, etc).

Too many churches to list with interesting and world-class art and architecture, but...Basilica Santa Mariadella Salute, Basilica dei Frari, Santa Maria dei Miracoli, San Sebastiano, San Pietro di Castello, Santo Giovanni E Paolo, Madonna dell'Orto. Venice's churches have some of Italy's greatest works of art--many free to view--by the likes of Tintoretto, Veronese, Titian, Bellini, Vivarini, and Carpaccio.

Scuola Grande di San Rocco, Scuola San Giorgio degli Schiavoni, Scuola San Nicolo, Scuola Grande Dei Carmini, Scuole Grande of San Rocco.

Campo Santa Maria Formosa, Ca’ Rezzonico museum, Querini-Stampalia palace/museum, San Giovanni Evangelista, Ponte di Rialto, Rialto market, Ca’ d’Oro, Ca' Pesaro museum, gondola tour of smaller, hidden canals. Opera and concerts at La Fenice and other venues. Walking away from the daytripping herds and discovering a quiet, secret city that most tourists have no clue exists--quiet campos with perhaps a restaurant or two and a couple of shops, and neighborhood children playing or couples strolling before dinner.

And don't forget the Lido of Venice beach resort in the summer.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank You for the replies. We will visit Florence for 2 days and Rome for three. Would it be wise to take a tour in Rome or just plan to see the sights on our own? Recommendations for meals in all three locations would be helpful. Thanks...
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM

I don't know if the weather in February will preclude it, but the battle of the bands in San Marco piazza in the evening is one of my best memories of Venice. First one cafe plays and then another follows, and then back to the first. Such fun.